Topic: Ignition switch '51 Ford Got a problem!

flatheadfan    -- 07-01-2011 @ 5:55 PM
  Guys-

This a dublicate of a message I posted on Fordbarn so, if you read it there you know the problem I am dealing with.

I have been trying for over a hour to get the small bezel locking nut to lock into the ignition switch on a '51 Ford. I have compressed the spring on switch to the point that the coils no longer look like coils. I have locked the outer plastic bezel in place. The switch is properly centered on the location tab in the dash hole. The problem is the two super small tabs on the nut that lock in a grove around the key hole in the switch. These are the things that lock everything together and hold the ignition switch to the dash. I have checked for burrs and damage to the tabs and found none. When put together on the bench everything works great. Not so in the car.

Surely, there has to be a simple way to do this or is there a "work-around" such as changing the switch to another model or year?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

trjford8    -- 07-01-2011 @ 7:52 PM
  If it goes together on the bench it should work in the dash.I've put in a 49 switch and a 53 switch and they went together fine. I have not done a 51 switch and do not know if they are the sane as the 49 or 53. Check the hole in the dash and see if there is a slot in the hole. Then check the switch to see if there is a tab on the switch body that fits into the dash slot. This keeps the switch from turning when you engage the key to start the car. If the tab and slot are not lined up the switch will not fit into the dash correctly and cause the problem you describe. The spring will not compress enough to allow the bezel to be put on the switch.

planojc    -- 07-04-2011 @ 2:15 PM
  I use a pair of needle nose pliers to turn the bezel. With the slots at 12 and 6 o clock, turn the bezel only one quarter turn to 3 and 9 o clock. I had to build up the tabs on the bezel with JB weld to get a better grip with the switch. Hope this helps.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3326