Topic: Electric Fuel Pump - 6-volt

FRITZ47    -- 07-01-2011 @ 10:13 AM
  I want to install a 6-volt electric fuel pump for starting purposes in my '47 Ford to save cranking after car sits for a few weeks. I want to run the car on the original mechanical pump. Any sources or ideas on which pump to use? I found a Carter P4259 in 6-volt pump, but it runs at 6 PSI (might be too high?). Also the P4259 is a Vane Type Pump, so can it be installed in line (near fuel tank) and the mechanical pump still work OK without running two separate fuel lines?

I have installed many 12-volt Carter P60504 Fuel Pumps in conjunction with the mechanical fuel pump and never a problem - can run the car OK with either, but always used the electric fuel pump to prime the carburetor after car has been sitting for a few weeks.

Thanks, Fred

supereal    -- 07-01-2011 @ 10:38 AM
  We install the Airtex pump sold by C&G (800/266-0470) as 11A-9350-E6. It is an "inline" pump that comes complete with the check valve and connections. They sell for about $75. I've had one on my '47 for over ten years, and it has been troublefree. I use it for priming, then let the mechanical pump take over. It replaced a Delco that was a headache. In any case, be sure to use the "worm gear" clamps on the rubber connections instead of the spring clamps.

ford38v8    -- 07-01-2011 @ 11:54 AM
  Fred, ditto on the worm gear clamps. The spring clamps that come with pumps and regulators are useless for this purpose. Regarding the pump output pressure, it must be regulated down to below 3 lbs. This of course means another set of hose clamps. Spring clamps wouldn't leak gas in any case, but will suck air, which spells failure.

Alan

trjford8    -- 07-01-2011 @ 6:54 PM
  If you are just using the pump for priming the carb you should not have to put a regulator on the pump. If you intend to use the pump at some point to take over from an ailing mechanical pump then you should have a regulator,.

supereal    -- 07-01-2011 @ 7:21 PM
  I haven't had any problems with the Airtex pumps swamping the carb, even when used to limp home. I do recommend operating the pump with a spring loaded toggle switch so it can't be left on accidentally. This could pose a problem in the event of an accident or fuel line rupture.

rlh37ford    -- 08-21-2011 @ 4:23 PM
  Where are you guys mounting your auxiliary electric fuel pumps?

thirtysixford    -- 08-21-2011 @ 6:27 PM
  I have been using one for some time to prime the pump on my '36 Airtex E8011. About $53 at my store... O'Reilley Auto Parts. I have a regulator installed so it doesn't blow out the gasket in the glass bowl on the mech. pump.

I seem to remember there was a new pump from Airtex that had the pressure down to 2-3 psi. was it in the V-8 Times???

Mike

joe b    -- 08-21-2011 @ 6:37 PM
  I installed an Airtex pump on my '41 about 12 years ago.
I mounted it next to the fuel tank per their recommendation. I drilled the frame as I could find no other place close to the tank. It has worked flawlessly and I recommend it,

ole_Bill    -- 08-25-2011 @ 9:42 AM
  I use the Holley low pressure electric pump (2-4 lbs) mounted to the frame above the rear axle. I also use a Holley fuel pressure regulator mounted on the firewall and adjusted 2 1/2 lb. Both work perfectly, except the pump runs constantly whenever the ignition is on. I expected it to build pressure and then stop pumping but Holley tech says it is working correctly. The noise is annoying until the engine starts then becomes a non-issue.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3321