Topic: engine problem

j.grif    -- 06-27-2011 @ 9:14 PM
  recently overhauled 21 stud engine has a slight miss,most noticeable at idle. After a couple hours total engine running time the compression is still only 70psi all cylinders. Running rich and can see fuel drops dripping into the venturi at idle. (I believe). Was wondering if the 97 carb float needle should be all metal or have the rubber tip? And can the points be cleaned and adjusted without disturbing the machine settings? I believe the distributor was machine set a few years back..Thanks much

40 Coupe    -- 06-28-2011 @ 5:26 AM
  A rich running engine that fowls plugs could be your engine idle problem. I would not work on the ignition system without working on the carb first. Can you adjust the idle with the idle crews? By hand screw them all the way in, NO FORCE (noting how far out they are) and then screw them out approximately 3/4 of one turn. run the car and when warm adjust the screws slightly until you get the best, smoothest and fastest idle (use a vacuum gauge to get highest possible vacuum). If you can not adjust them and get a good idle the carb needs to be looked at further. Let us know what carb you have. After running the new engine for a while (couple hundred miles in some cases)the new rings may seat better and the compression may rise.

supereal    -- 06-28-2011 @ 9:41 AM
  Run a vacuum test to find out where your problem lies. With that low compression, and an occasional skip, you may have a valve problem. I don't like the rubber tipped float needles, as they often are not "fuel proof". Internal carb leakage often indicates an improper float setting, too much fuel pump pressure, or a leaky float. A special valve, called a "Grose" valve is available from most vendors. A "slight miss" is seldom a carb problem, unless the plugs are fouling. As for the distributor, I wouldn't touch it until you find the problem. Any attempts to clean the points usually results in more, rather than less, problems, without strobing it on a machine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3305