Topic: 1936 Floormats needed

rstefani59    -- 06-27-2011 @ 8:18 PM
  Does anyone know where to find a setup of correct taupe rubber floor mats for a 1936 Cabriolet?

Have tried Macs, Dennis Carpenter, C&G Ford Parts, Lebaron Bonney, and Sacramento Vintage Ford, but they don't seem to be available.

Any help would be great

Thanks

trjford8    -- 06-28-2011 @ 7:21 AM
  Those mats have not been available for a long time. I recall awhile back that someone mentioned using a black mat and painting it tan using some of the new type paint used on flexible surfaces.

supereal    -- 06-28-2011 @ 9:29 AM
  The production of the "taupe" mats ceased a long time ago, mostly because the repros never came close to the actual color of the originals, so no one wanted to buy them. The were more green than the tan color.

ctfordguy    -- 06-28-2011 @ 1:38 PM
  Hi,
I've been looking for them for 3 years. Haven't found any.
Good luck.
Bruce

philmco    -- 08-14-2011 @ 5:07 PM
  Just found this:

http://www.parts123.com/0000266a/55/MIDWEST-EARLY-FORD-PARTS/FORD/All%20Models/1935_1936-ford_floor_mat_front_tan-55.htm

fenbach    -- 08-14-2011 @ 8:43 PM
  nice going philmco. now, let's see if you're up to finding a rear mat for a '36 rumble seat coupe! and, i'll settle for black.

flatheadfan    -- 08-15-2011 @ 12:53 AM
  Phimco-

The picture doesn't seem to be a mat for a '36. There appears to be several problems with the mat. The pedal holes are in the wrong position, extra holes, missing gearshift hole, the pattern is wrong and it is missing an emergency brake hole among other problems. I would think the mat pictured would require some major "surgery" just to get it to fit.

Gee, I would think for $160 it would just drop in. However, maybe the picture is a "general" or "typical" floor mat not the actual mat being sold.

In late '36 Ford of Canada started after-market selling and/or factory installing a carpet which, in my opinion, is a much better way to go (note picture). Rubber mats didn't hold up very well (easily ripped) especially, when you had to check the battery.

Some of the nice things about carpeting is you don't need to worry about it easily tearing and the cost factor. A good quality rug can be much cheaper than a poorly fitting rubber mat. That is what I have been using in my '35 for years (I know it is not original but it is very practical).

Tom

Billc    -- 08-16-2011 @ 5:46 AM
  I searched for a mat for my '36 pickup at Midwest and got the same picture. I will have to call and see if that is the only mat they sell. I like the carpet idea, indoor-outdoor might go well in a pickup.

Bill

36 pickup 47 COE

Henryat1140    -- 08-18-2011 @ 6:16 AM
  We got one from Lebaron Bonney a couple of years ago, but maybe now they don't have them. There was a disclaimer in the description about the mold for the mats being worn out and the details were not perfect and if you got one you should understand that ahead of time.

The mat we got had the jute backing sent separate and we went to a carpet place and bought a piece of carpet padding which we cut to size and put under the mat.

The next hurdle was cutting the holes for the gearshift and the emergency brake. Even using the old mat as a pattern we still had to fudge a little.

The rubber is not very flexible and somewhat prone to tearing as we found when we tried to install the floormat clips. So be careful with that detail.

Finally, we did put a piece of indoor outdoor carpet over top of the floormat to protect it. We take it out for judging.

For $150 it was a lot of work and not a perfect result. Like others have said, carpet is really a better alternative and is fine except for point judging IMO.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3304