Topic: 1952 1953 emergency brake handle assembly

flat34chili    -- 06-27-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  has anyone here disasembled the emergency brake handle assembly to replace the front ebrake cable?
i see that there is a pin on the shaft that the cable connects to, this pin keeps the handle from turning completly around and you cannot access the cable ball to disconnect from the handle. but i dont know if it is threaded or not.
i have tried to turn it with vise grips with no luck, or i am just to afraid to realy twist it and brake it off.
if the cable is sold sepratly, there must be a way to replace it.
thanks rich

buford8    -- 06-27-2011 @ 4:57 PM
  Hi Rich, you are gonna have to get that stopper pin out, then you will be able to rotate the handle so it will go in farther and give you access to remove the ball on the end of the cable. I use whatever method I can to get the pin out, sometimes they will come out with a good side cutter. I have even had to break it off and grind down the remains to get the handle out. After the handle is out you can use a small drift punch to drive out the rest of the pin. New pins are available from Mac's antique parts in New york. Good luck, Buford8.

flat34chili    -- 06-27-2011 @ 8:36 PM
  thanks buford8, went to the macs site and saw the pic, i will start from the bottom and try and knock it out now that i know what it looks like and where to get a new one from.
thanks again rich

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 6:29 PM
  ok everyone, i have removed the front e-brake cable from the handle and this is how i did it. the first pic show how you can not clearly see the bottom of the pin that keeps the handle from coming all the way out, the second shows how short you are to seeing the cable ball,the third shows gap, the forth shows another stop that actualy is responsible for the gap,fifth shows the stopper plate,the sixth shows the gap now that you have past the stop, the seventh the cable ball almost falls out,the eighth remove the cable wheel and the handle will now move far enough to let the cable ball out,the ninth your done.
rich

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 6:33 PM
  oops, seems you cant post more than one pic at a time so i will email anyone who wants this tech tip in pic's

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 6:36 PM
  ok i will start over. first pic shows the handle will not go foward enough to let the cable ball be released from the handle.

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 6:41 PM
  this is the gap right now, and it need to get smaller for the cable to be removed.

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 6:51 PM
  this is the step that stops the handle from going all the way in and letting you release the e-brake cable.

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 6:56 PM
  this pic shows the little flipper that holds the handle from releasing when you pull it out to engage the rear e-brakes, you can move it up with your finger so it will allow the handle to slide a little further in.

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 6:57 PM
  here is the gap now that you have manipulated the flipper to let you slide the handle in a little further in.

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 7:00 PM
  as you can see the front e-brake cable ball now wants to almost fall out but wont, the handle need to move a little further in, so you now need to remove the cotter pin to remove the wheel.

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 7:04 PM
  with the wheel removed, you can now remove the front e-brake cable.

flat34chili    -- 07-06-2011 @ 7:12 PM
  the front e-brake cable is now removed and you can clean the handle assembly and replace the cable.
rich

TomO    -- 07-07-2011 @ 7:26 AM
  Now that you have posted the procedure here on the Forum, it is a small step to provide the information to the V-8 Times editor. Jerry will be happy to get the article or "It Worked For Me" tip and publish it.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3303