Topic: help with Light switch

tlkolrod    -- 06-26-2011 @ 7:13 AM
  Good Morning I just located your sight and I am in need of some help. I am working on my 36 ford coupe and I am stuck at the light switch. How is it supposed to work?? What position is off? Where is high and were is low beam. I am not sure I re -assembled it correctly after placing the new harness onto the steering column bottom.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Toby

nelsb01    -- 06-26-2011 @ 1:09 PM
  Welcome.
The wiring bale should only fit one way, and once you attach it, the switch at the the bottom should only fit one way.
Did you insert the U shaped clip at the end of the horn rod? And do you have a good brass tube in which the rod fits at the end of the steering column?
The end of the rod should have the ridges facing top and bottom for off. Turning the top of the horn column will controll the lights. But if you do not have the clip and brass tube in the other end, it will not work.

tlkolrod    -- 06-26-2011 @ 3:49 PM
  ALl of the wireing seems OK . I am more interested in the positions of the switch, Where is High beam and were is Low beam? Does it have just parking lights if the switch is turned a certain way?

flatheadfan    -- 06-26-2011 @ 4:40 PM
  It is possible to get the light bail on wrong. The two forks on the bottom of the light rod (retained by a "C" clip and spring) must be in a 12 o'clock - 6 o'clock position. With everything together on the bottom of the steering column, your dial (on the steering wheel) will have two tabs again in a 12 o'clock - 6 o'clock position. One click to the right (1 o'clock position) produces the parking lights. Returning to the up and down position, one click to the left (11 o'clock position) will be the low beam lights. One addition click to the left will give you the high beams.

That should do it!

Tom

sunflower    -- 06-27-2011 @ 10:09 AM
  OK, now I know why my parking lights do not work I cannot turn my light switch to the right, what would be the problem? all I have is low and high beams when I turn it to the left. Thanks.sunflower

flatheadfan    -- 06-27-2011 @ 5:13 PM
  I "think" I know what the problem is. Pull off the bail and separate the top half from the bottom. The wide part of top half will have a brass ring with three "bumps." This ring can be moved left and right. It also has two "slots." Looking down the smaller end you will see another set of slots. The fork used to turn on the lights fits into both sets of slots. They must be aligned. Often the rotating brass disk gets rotated into the wrong position prior to installing on the steering column. Yes, the horn rod forks will enter the slots but if the brass ring is in the wrong position you will not have the three light stops. Hopefully, the following pictures can help.

Again, I suspect this is the problem - no guarantee!

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 06-27-2011 @ 5:14 PM
  Second picture!

flatheadfan    -- 06-27-2011 @ 5:21 PM
  Pictures didn't work as they should, so I try again.

This message was edited by flatheadfan on 6-27-11 @ 5:27 PM

flatheadfan    -- 06-27-2011 @ 5:28 PM
  And the second picture....

sunflower    -- 06-27-2011 @ 5:54 PM
  Tom, thank you very much for your time and effort,the picture's are a great help, this forum is great I will take the switch apart and check it out. Thanks again. sunflower

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3296