Topic: Fried Coil (Black Ooze), Insert explitive!!

Savvy    -- 11-16-2009 @ 8:56 PM
  Today sucked in a BIG way....

My original Ford script three screw coil fried today (black ooze came out between the the two housing pieces) along with frying the electronic cutout. That's not all, the field wire to the cut out caught fire.

I knew better, but listened to my neighbor anyhow....
Used a Sears DieHard 6V 50 amp battery charger.

Only the ignition portion of the electrical system was connected.

Is my coil toast or can it be rebuilt?

I plan to replace the electronic cutout, field wire(s) (generator has 2 wires exiting housing), condenser, coil (had an extra).

What else might need replacing (including new neighbor)?

How can I tell if I fried my Optima?

4dFordSC    -- 11-17-2009 @ 12:17 AM
  Skip Haney can rebuild your coil: www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm

37 Coupe    -- 11-17-2009 @ 7:14 AM
  You mean you cooked everything because you had ignition switch on while charging or what? I am using an Optima battery and have a disconnect on neg post,always disconnect while it is sitting in garage and especially when I have a charger on battery. By the way I was always told to use a maintainer type charger on Optima and have always used one of the small ones made by Schumacher that walmart sells for around $20.00.

TomO    -- 11-17-2009 @ 7:44 AM
  I don't understand how you fried the coil and cutout. How did you have the charger hooked up?

The best test of an Optima battery is made with one of the newer electronic battery testers. Take your battery to a battery service center that sells the Optima and have them test it.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-17-2009 @ 8:11 AM
  Most old Ford coils will be cooked if the ignition is left on and the points are closed, as many of us have found out. It is another reason to install a master cutoff switch on the battery post.

Savvy    -- 11-17-2009 @ 9:00 AM
  Well, Tom.....
apparantly when one connects a 50 amp 6v charger (i hesitatate to use the word "correctly" because it appears a 50 amp 6v charger isn't a correct choice, though it was connected correctly) and neglect to turn off the ignition switch.......

the coil squirts out black diareah, the cutout turns red and the cotton cloth wire insulation combusts.

If you still don't understand....go ahead and try it yourself.

Thanks for asking.

Got any other questions?

I jest for sanity.
Cheers!!!!

This message was edited by Savvy on 11-17-09 @ 9:08 AM

Stroker    -- 11-17-2009 @ 10:57 AM
  Well, if you have been around early Fords for about a
half century like many of us, you have probably "black
oozed" a coil sometime in your life. One other bit of
advice though, and that is; if you have the occasion to
cable jump start your car with a 6 volt Chevy, or
Plymouth....Do not let the bumpers touch!

51f1    -- 11-17-2009 @ 1:50 PM
  Why would you ever use a 50 amp charger?. Unless you are in an awful hurry, 2 amps is sufficient.

Richard

Savvy    -- 11-17-2009 @ 4:33 PM
  Well 51,
It's like this...
The DieHard charger used,very similar to the one found here:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871240000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries+%26+Chargers&sName=Battery+Chargers+%26+Boosters

States that it is for 6 and 12 volt batteries.
The only available charge settings for 6 volt batteries is 50 amps.

Now you know why and now you have something to contribute at your next get-together.

Thank you for asking.

supereal    -- 11-19-2009 @ 2:59 PM
  One caution regarding the Optima battery is that it MUST be slow charged to prevent damage. The Optima is a wonderful battery for old cars, but the spiral wound glass mat construction will be destroyed with a charging current much over 2 amps. Any battery that is completely dead must be slow charged before it is reinstalled in a vehicle or it is likely that an expensive alternator will need to be be replaced. Usually, when someone calls for road service to start their car, and they hookup one of those motorized "quick start" machines, the next stop is a battery dealer.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=326