Topic: V8 Serving Trays

kevnstephanie    -- 11-16-2009 @ 6:51 PM
  Hi, I am hoping someone in your club would be able to identify these things. I have attached pictures, I hope they come through on your end. These two Ford V8 chrome (they polished up nicely) serving trays belonged to my wife's Aunt who passed away last year and we found them in her things. We know she had an early 50's Woodie Wagon, but one of her husbands also had something to do with the UAW while they lived in the Midwest. We believe they were a promotional item but I suppose they could have been used at a Ford factory cafeteria for the executives maybe. Any information would be appreciated. Are they worth anything?

kevnstephanie    -- 11-16-2009 @ 6:59 PM
  Here is another picture of the tray.

trjford8    -- 11-16-2009 @ 7:09 PM
  The tray is made of stainless steel, that's why they polish up so well. I have one of those trays and they were used in the Ford assembly plant cafeterias. I'm not sure when they were introduced to the cafeterias, but the logo(lazy V-8) tells me it was probably 1937. Prior to the stainless tray the cafeterias used china plates and cups. I suspect the stainless trays cut down on the breakage of the china by the dishwashers and were also easier to clean. Every once in a while these trays show up at swap meets and on e-bay.If you are a V-8 Ford guy hang onto the tray. Take it to a V-8 Ford picnic and the tray will create a lot of convesation. I also supect the trays may have disappeared from the cafeterias during WW II. Stainless steel became a desired commodity for the war effort and they may have recycled the trays..

This message was edited by trjford8 on 11-16-09 @ 7:12 PM

kevnstephanie    -- 11-16-2009 @ 7:14 PM
  Thanks, I never would have guessed they were that old. Stainless makes more sense too.

Kevin

Grant    -- 11-29-2009 @ 7:56 AM
  Hi Kevin,

Did you decide if your serving trays will be up for sale ? If so, at what price ?

Thanks, Grant
flatheadfleming@hotmail.com

Chevguy49Ford    -- 11-29-2009 @ 10:27 AM
  I was wondering the same thing.
mritcey@accesscable.net
Thanks, Scott

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

supereal    -- 11-30-2009 @ 9:22 AM
  Some time ago, I ran across many pieces of china that had the Ford script crest on them. The owner said they were used in the executive dining room at the Rouge plant. The price was too high for me. I haven't seen anymore since at the antique store that displayed them.

trjford8    -- 11-30-2009 @ 6:38 PM
  Bob, they show up on e-bay from time to time. Right now on E-bay there is a woodgrained serving tray from the 1934 eposition in Chicage that has the Ford building in the center of the tray.

supereal    -- 12-01-2009 @ 10:03 AM
  I'm not the antique expert in our household, so I would be skeptical about whether these items are genuine, given the prices asked, Tom, as the market is flooded with repros being represented as real. I have a lot of old Ford stuff, but at least I know where it came from. That is probably one of the only good reasons for having lived so long!

trjford8    -- 12-01-2009 @ 7:41 PM
  Bob , you're right about repos. I'm also skeptical about some of the stuff out there. It's definitely a "buyer beware" situation.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=324