Topic: battery charge 6volt

46fordnut    -- 06-14-2011 @ 9:58 PM
  here a quick question ... i understand the 6 volt charging system with a generator just is to keep the battery at it current state of charge, but if you sit still in traffic or idling to long would not the battery run down or low on charge? or am i just at a misunderstanding about the system and the way it works. i did note a idle the gen gauge stays in the middle. when i have my lights on it drops a little then goes back to center. if the engine is running down the highway it goes to the "charge side" . when i lent off it goes back down to center or little lower with lights on. it there trouble or just the way the system works.

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 6-15-11 @ 5:49 AM

ford38v8    -- 06-14-2011 @ 10:08 PM
  Just the way it works. The engine at idle does not turn the generator fast enough to charge. With nothing turned on but the ignition, the engine can idle for hours with no measurable discharge, but accessories will pull the battery down quickly at idle. Ask me how I found this to be true while idling at the summit (snow closure) coming back from Reno.

Alan

46fordnut    -- 06-15-2011 @ 5:48 AM
  so if that is the case, only power you will have will be...a the battery b the generator. that being said i am glad the only thing my car has are the needed but dim running lights. and stop lights. there are is some room for improvements in this type of system. we need to make a plan to bail out this week but working system for when it just is not enough. but then again it would take the fun out of the guess work if we will make it or not in traffic without the system dying on the way

100 horse running wild

supereal    -- 06-15-2011 @ 9:09 AM
  Think of the electrical system as if it were a water system. The battery is a storage tank that makes up the difference between consumption and replenishment, and the generator as the pump in the well. If the pump was required to furnish all the water, and everybody flushed at the same time, no one would have water. During long periods of idling, you need to increase the engine speed enough to close the battery cutout. This happens when the generator matches or exceeds the drain. Modern cars switched to the alternator to provide a higher, more constant source, to feed the growing requirements of accessories. This requires a higher rotor speed in the alternator than the flatheads can usually furnish due to the slower RPMs of the engine. If your battery is up to the task, short duration drains shouldn't be a problem. Think of the saturated glass mat (Optima) battery as a bigger tank.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3239