Topic: 6 Volt Battery Cranking Amps

Steves46    -- 06-14-2011 @ 3:06 PM
  After many years of good service, my Optima finally gave up the ghost so rather than digging deep im my pocket to replace it with another Optima, I purchased a 6-volt "Truck/Tractor" battery at my local Advance Auto Parts. Since this battery only has 640 cranking amps, is that a bit low for our flatheads? One thing I instantly noticed was the engine turns over considerably slower than it did with the Optima and when it's warm, it really slows down. May have to bite the bullet and get another Optima.

supereal    -- 06-14-2011 @ 3:58 PM
  The Optima has over 800 cold cranking amps. My Optima started my '47 after nearly eight months in storage. The biggest threat to the "glass mat" batteries is rapid charging. I usually go by " it isn't how much you pay, but how many times you pay it" . Old cars need all the help they can get.

ford38v8    -- 06-14-2011 @ 4:00 PM
  Steve, your new wet cell battery has 80% the CCA as the Optima. This is quite enough under normal operating conditions, but you must remember that our cars are driven infrequently, thus making a lead acid battery a poor choice due to the wide fluctuation of the charge. In addition to the shorter battery life and the odds of getting caught without sufficient charge, when it does get a charge, the acid vapor destroys the paint in your engine compartment. Best to lay those problems on your tractor, not your Ford.

Alan

Steves46    -- 06-14-2011 @ 4:27 PM
  Alan & Bob, thanks for your thoughts on this matter. Since Father's Day is around the corner I think I will ask my Wife and daughters for a new Optima.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-14-2011 @ 5:25 PM
  STEVES46
I Would before you buy another battery,clean,or make sure all your battery cables are clean and tight, also
I would pull the starter and check for wear,dirt,oil .
I have a AUTOZONE $80.00 6 Volt and my 37 turns over quickly with no problems.
I would really consider finding the main problem before buy another battery you might not need,
my 3 cents 37 RAGTOPMAN

42guy    -- 06-14-2011 @ 6:23 PM
  I use an Interstate wet cell battery. Been in for 5 years and engine fires immediately. Check your connections.

Steves46    -- 06-15-2011 @ 10:44 AM
  I double checked the connections and sure enough, the cable connection from the solenoid to the starter was loose at the starter connection. So I thought no problem, I'll tighten down the nut only to have it come loose again just as it was tightening it down. Looks like some of the copper stud threads are stripped! Is there a simple fix or do I need to pull the starter and replace the stud? The fun never ends!

supereal    -- 06-15-2011 @ 12:18 PM
  Just put washers on the stud until you have some good threads so you can tighten the nut down securely. The reason I usually recommend Optima batterioes for old cars in the "cold cranking amps" of over 800, plus the lack of acid leakage that eats battery trays and post connections. As long as you avoid a too high charging rate, they will outlast lead-acid batteries by years. I have one on my bench to test 6 volt things. It is seven years old, and still alive!

TomO    -- 06-16-2011 @ 6:58 AM
  Steve, Google the Optima. I have seen them on sale for as little as $110 with free shipping.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3235