Topic: old time hot rodders

FordCoupo    -- 06-12-2011 @ 7:40 PM
  My sons and I built an old style hot rod 52 mercury v8 for my father-in-law's old 52 merc. It's was his first new car when he came home from Korea in 52. It's been in the family ever since. My father in laws health is failing and at 83 we wanted to do something special for him for Fathers Day. He always wanted to hot rod the old Merc. and we did that for him but we're having some teething problems. It has a.060 overbore with a sleeve in no. 4 hole. We used an Isky 400 cam-Offenhauser heads and a 4bb. intake with a 450 Holley and Pro-comp electronic dist. and MSD igniter module. The carb. and fuel delivery is not the problem as we have switched carbs from my gently rodded 48 coupe. Same problem so we think we have igniton problems. The problem-from off idle on up in rpm it bucks, backfires and hesitates. Timing is set at the ball on the balancer and subsequent advance/retard has not helped. Max advance is 24 degrees at 2000 rpm. Plugs are stock Chanmion H10 and when we checked the plug depth prior to head installation-the tip is up in the thread bore. In other words the tip did not extend down into the combustion chamer area. On my 48 coupe we used extended tip Champion R12JNY and it runs great and yes it does extend into the chamer area. Could this be the problem? We also have a problem with overheating on the right side. We have dual mechanical temp gauges for each bank and when I checked with a digital type, the left side runs 86C and the right runs 106C. This trnaslates into 210 left side-250 right side but it does not boil water out. We have an extra capacity aluminum radiator in it like my 48 has and the 48 runs stone cool all the time. It never exceeds 195 in the hot Texas summer heat. It was 102 degrees this afternoon when Iwas working on it. Gentleman any help is welcome and wanted. We just want grandpa George to have a safe trip with us to the family homestead in 3 rivers in his old Merc. Thanks all.

trjford8    -- 06-12-2011 @ 8:24 PM
  You problem may be more than one issue, but I would start with the ignition syatem. I would would replace the ignition system with a stock points style distributor. Lately I have seen failures of the MSD box(module). In talking to other people it seems that this in not uncommon. I would also look at changing the plugs and using Autolite 216's.

supereal    -- 06-13-2011 @ 7:34 AM
  I agree with Tom regarding the electronic ignition. We have removed those systems from several cars, as they tend to be temperature sensitive. If you have heating on one side of the block, I'd run a compression check. It is more than likely that the head gasket is leaking. The correct Champion plugs are the RJ14YC, not 12. I've run them for years without problems.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3223