Topic: battery charge 6volt

46fordnut    -- 06-11-2011 @ 3:26 PM
  anyone know what a fully charged 6 volt battery should be? mine get to around 6.10 volts

100 horse running wild

supereal    -- 06-11-2011 @ 3:31 PM
  That is bit low for a lead acid battery. The best way to test a battery is by specific gravity of the fluid.. There are cheap testers at places such as Walmart that use floating beads. Testing with a voltmeter without removing the surface charge is usually not accurate. At least, turn on the headlights for a few minutes to get to the real voltage level.

46fordnut    -- 06-11-2011 @ 4:09 PM
  just found my positive cable is bad . im going to do as you say but need to recharge battery first. i think it was up to 6.75 when fully charged . i have a braded positive cable . can i just use a normal cable instead?

100 horse running wild

supereal    -- 06-11-2011 @ 7:21 PM
  A six volt ground cable is OK, but don't substitute a 12 volt type. Both negative and positive cables must be properly rated to maintain the circuit. Be sure there is a ground cable both to the firewall and the engine.

46fordnut    -- 06-11-2011 @ 7:54 PM
  there are cables from positive side of battery to the fire wall and from the wall to the engine. any idea what size cable i should use for battery and starter? not how long but how thick. my system is a six volt factory style.

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 6-11-11 @ 7:56 PM

ford38v8    -- 06-11-2011 @ 9:36 PM
  6V battery to solenoid, battery to firewall, and firewall to engine should be AWG 00 ( 2/0 ).

Alan

46fordnut    -- 06-12-2011 @ 5:07 PM
  whats wrong if i use 1 ga./cal 41.9 cm (16.5")

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 6-12-11 @ 5:11 PM

ford38v8    -- 06-12-2011 @ 8:22 PM
  Sorry, I failed to include solenoid to starter in my previous post. The reason heavy cables are needed is because the system is 6V. The main reason the industry went to 12 volts was due to the growing popularity of air conditioners, and the high cost of copper. While I'm not an Electrical Engineer, I can tell you that even if you were to use 3/0, 4/0, or larger, there would still be a voltage drop at the load end of the circuit.

Your question about 1 AWG may be easier to explain if you had ever tried to use a cheap jumper cable made with 1 AWG. It's just too darn small to carry the load.

Alan

supereal    -- 06-13-2011 @ 7:40 AM
  We are finding that many supposed 6 volt cables have undersized conductors, even though they are sold as correct. Many have aluminum, rather than copper, to save money. Aluminum conductors form an oxide, which is an insulator. If the proper connectors aren't installed, together with an anti oxidation material, they will gradually fail. The best way to determine if any cable or wire is at fault, place a voltmeter across that piece from end to end, and apply power. Any reading on the meter indicates the amount of loss in that conductor. At 6 volts, it only take one bad part to "drop" most or all of the power.

46fordnut    -- 06-13-2011 @ 4:27 PM
  recharged battery cranks much better. now i just need to rebuild or replace the fuel pump. it does not pump much fuel or enough to keep the car running. check my battery now as the car has taken some of the top charge off. 6.50 is this weak or still fine? does the gen charge the battery as you drive or only take some stress of the battery?

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 6-14-11 @ 5:19 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3219