Topic: '36 85HP engine Head color

rondo36    -- 06-09-2011 @ 10:10 AM
  Can someone tell me what the proper head color is for my '36 cabriolet? The '35-'36 book says the engine is dark green but does not discuss the aluminum heads.

Also does anybody know of a source for fog light lenses? I have two KD Lamp Co. Cincinati, OH Model No. 857 with cracked amber lenses that I would like to replace.

Thanks

TomO    -- 06-09-2011 @ 2:11 PM
  Aluminum heads were left natural from the factory.

Tom

rondo36    -- 06-10-2011 @ 3:05 AM
  Did the 85HP come with cast iron Heads? I checked with a magnet and they seem to be ferrous?

Don Rogers    -- 06-10-2011 @ 3:06 PM
  Rondo, As Tom O indicated, they were aluminum. They are discussed in lenght on pages 99 thru 101 in The 1935-36 Ford Book

Stroker    -- 06-10-2011 @ 4:01 PM
  rondo:

If they are painted, and attract a magnet, it may be that they are iron heads off of a truck, or service replacement iron heads. The intake manifold should be unpainted and will be aluminum, unless it has been replaced with something much later. If you could post a photo of your engine, someone in this group of contributors should be able to identify any inconsistencies.

As Don suggested, a great "starting point" would be to access the 35-36 Book available for sale on this website.

Henryat1140    -- 06-11-2011 @ 7:31 AM
  What follows is hearsay, I don't have any documentation, but have heard the same story from several people at various times.

The car originally would have had aluminum heads, but these were so problematic that many were replaced with cast iron. Not exactly a recall, but Ford had a liberal replacement policy, so nowadays it is rare to see a 36 with aluminum heads.

Also it is rare to find a set of aluminum heads which are not corroded and/or cracked. The cast iron heads were just a better product.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3210