Topic: '36 Deluxe spare tire lock mechanism? (pic.)

Flatbob    -- 11-16-2009 @ 2:04 PM
  Can someone tell me where I can find exploded view of the spare tire lock for a '36? If not have enclosed photo of pieces (cylinder lock, cup, thick washer, spring and retaining washer) perhaps someone could tell me the order they assemble in. Am having a problem in that the prongs won't engage the opening in the spare tire carrier because cylinder won't go in far enough to engage; any ideas?

G Tosel    -- 11-16-2009 @ 6:06 PM
  I believe the cup you show is for a Standard spare tire cover, not the Deluxe cover.

The order should be lock, then thick washer, then spring which is inserted into the large cone shaped cover and then through the tire cover. The split ring locks all together.

With that cup installed I believe it is the reason you cannot get the lock to latch.

Thanks

Gary Tosel

Deluxe 36 5W Coupe

This message was edited by G Tosel on 11-16-09 @ 8:12 PM

Flatbob    -- 11-16-2009 @ 9:27 PM
  Gary, thanks for responding. Are you saying that the locking mechanism stays with the tire cover when tire cover is removed? I was thinking that you had to remove the lock and then the tire cover would come off; I think you're saying the two work together as one unit when assembled?

G Tosel    -- 11-17-2009 @ 7:15 AM
  You are correct the key is turned to release the tabs into the spare tire bracket and the whole assembly comes off together.

Do you have the large cone shaped piece I described?

Thanks.

Gary Tosel

Flatbob    -- 11-17-2009 @ 9:01 AM
  Gary, I only have what is pictured in my initial post, I thought the "cone" shaped piece you were referring to is what I called the "cup." Am going to see if I can make it work with the cup assembled as you described. These were the pieces that came with the car, if I remember correctly they worked 15 years ago.

G Tosel    -- 11-17-2009 @ 10:28 AM
  Do you have a Deluxe cover with a hubcap like cover with Ford script or a movable door for the lock? If you send a picture I can help identify.

Thanks

Gary Tosel

Flatbob    -- 11-17-2009 @ 7:10 PM
  Gary, the cover is a '36 Deluxe with trim ring and flip hub cap. The cone in center of cover seems to be about 1/4" not deep enough. I left out the thick washer, spring and retainer ring, this was the only way I could the lock to engage the opening in the spare tire carrier. Oddly enough it works very well but the locking mechanism separates from the wheel cover when removing.

G Tosel    -- 11-17-2009 @ 8:32 PM
  Did you install the snap ring in the back of the cover into the lock groove?

I think the thick washer could be eliminated, but the spring makes it all work.

Any pictures would help.

Thanks.

Gary Tosel

Flatbob    -- 11-18-2009 @ 10:26 AM
  Gary, as you can see the cover fits quite nicely; just can't remove lock & cover as one piece. The only piece I used was the cup the lock cylinder sits in, left out thick washer, spring and retaining clip. Tried every combination of parts and this was the only way it would work. Thanks, Bob

G Tosel    -- 11-18-2009 @ 2:12 PM
  Thanks for the photo. I have attached a couple from my 36 5W Coupe.

Do you have a stock 6:00 x 16 tire? A larger tire could cause part of the problem.

When you unlock the cover do you push the lock into the cover and then turn the key? This is why the spring is there to allow you to move the lock away from the bracket and release the lock.

Gary Tosel

I hope this helps.

Flatbob    -- 11-18-2009 @ 4:15 PM
  Gary, I wonder why I can't see the cup under the cylinder lock on your car? Yes, I push in the cylinder lock & turn key to remove, the tires are stock; perhaps if I under inflate it I could use all the pieces. Thanks for pic. & help. Bob

G Tosel    -- 11-18-2009 @ 7:20 PM
  I do not have the cup, I have the large cone shaped piece with the large rubber seal under it. Again I believe the cup is for the Standard cover.

Gary Tosel

Flatbob    -- 11-19-2009 @ 10:38 AM
  Gary, in your picture I notice I can't see the "cup" your cylinder lock sits in. You'll notice in the picture I attach mine is very visible; do I have it in the wrong location?

Flatbob    -- 11-19-2009 @ 10:45 AM
  Gary, sorry about the confusion; I wasn't going to second page to see your response. Where can I see a picture of the large "cone?"

G Tosel    -- 11-19-2009 @ 5:41 PM
  Look at my picture and you see the large cone that goes from the lock all the way out to where your picture shows rivet heads. That cup does not go with this type cover at all. That large cover has the large seal between it and the area where the rivet heads show on your photo. If you want to make it right, you will need to find that cone part.

Gary Tosel

Flatbob    -- 11-21-2009 @ 7:37 AM
  Gary, now that I looked at the picture you provided a little more closely I now realize I don't have the large cone you refer to. I'll see if I can locate one somewhere. Thanks, Bob

Don Rogers    -- 11-21-2009 @ 9:01 AM
  Here's a rearrangement of the items in your original photo plus the cone that you are looking for.

Flatbob    -- 11-24-2009 @ 9:39 AM
  Don, thank you for the picture, now I will try & locate one of those cones. Thanks, Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=321