Topic: 36 cabriolet window channel felt

bgalla    -- 06-08-2011 @ 8:08 AM
  Does anyone know a source for the felt that is crimped into the sides of the four window channels for a 36 cabriolet which I'm restoring? Thanks Bruce

trjford8    -- 06-08-2011 @ 8:21 AM
  You might take the channels to a local glass shop to see if they have the felt or can order it. You might also contact the V-8 parts vendors who carry kits to restore the glass channels or provide new channels.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-8-11 @ 8:44 PM

wmsteed    -- 06-09-2011 @ 9:47 AM
  I recently rebuilt the window operators, etc., on my '39 Plym conv cpe which is a Briggs body like the Fords.
I went nuts trying to find the insulating felt for the window tracts.. Everyone told me to convert the tracts to later model insulating channels.. Wrong,, I liked the design of the originals in lieu of some clabbered together after-market junk.
I finally found 1/8" X 3/4" FELT at Restoration Specialities. It was quite simple to cut the felt into 5/16" strips.... Getting the felt into the channel was another matter.
I tried everything, I even tried freezing the felt, you can't freeze wool/felt. After many days and hours of trying to get the felt into the channel I finally took two pieces of flat 1/8" x 1/2" steel bar stock, clamping the pre-cut felt between the two pieces and leaving the felt there for several hours. Upon removal from the clamps the felt was about 1/16"... I quickly placed the felt into the channel before it could expand. I then re-crimped the channel ends to secure the felt.
I had the four channels done in less than 30 minutes.
I have now done the same job for a couple of friends of mine on their window channels.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 06-09-2011 @ 11:14 AM
  C&G sells window felt strip kits on page 289 of their catalog. cgfordparts.com

drkbp    -- 06-10-2011 @ 4:50 AM
  bgalla,

The felt is thin and actually makes a fairly hard surface inside the channel. This lets the rollers in the lower part of the window stainless function but keeps it from rubbing steel. The '35 door catches the little rubber bumpers at the top inside the door just below the garnish but yours should be felt. I glued it in channel as I recall. I don't believe the felt is a "U" because one side of the channel "floats". I will check it when I get home as I didn't drive it to the office today. My Exp has a better AC. <grin>

As Super says, they say they have it.

Ken in Texas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3204