Topic: 41 Ford 3spd Downshifting problem

ford1941    -- 06-08-2011 @ 6:39 AM
  I have a 1941 Ford with a newly rebuilt transmission and I am having some trouble downshifting into 2nd gear. If I am going faster than about 10 mph, it will grind and cluck as I downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd. During the rebuild, I replaced the syncro rings, the intermediate (2nd) gear and gapped the mainshaft washer to within .008. I am running Valvoline 85W-140 gear oil. The car seems to upshift from 1st to 2nd pretty well -- only on limited occasions will I have a very subtle cluck when it slips up into 2nd. Any thoughts on my downshifting problem?

Thanks, Scott

supereal    -- 06-08-2011 @ 6:43 AM
  Are you sure you replaced the spacer between the output shaft and the u joint? Omission of that piece will cause such problems. The spacer is a special thick washer .

deuce_roadster    -- 06-08-2011 @ 8:11 AM
  A few things to ponder, besides the thick washer that super mentioned, the surface of the u joint where the washer seats and the surface closest to the trans can have wear that adds to the .008 clearance. I know of problems reported with new synchro rings purchased from Sacramento Vintage a while back. Was your pilot bearing replaced as well? Good luck with the annoying problem, I assume your clutch is adjusted and is completely releasing.

ford1941    -- 06-08-2011 @ 8:52 AM
  Could you possibly be more specific about this spacer? I reused the original part #7095, the retainer washer where the universal bolts on to the output shaft, but I am not sure I am sure what you mean by the spacer "between" the output shaft an u-joint.

supereal    -- 06-08-2011 @ 11:02 AM
  The spacer is the 7095. The u-joint goes on the output shaft, followed by the spacer (B-7085) called the "retainer, transmission main shaft bearing". The small washer and bolt are added. The spacer is 11/64" thick, the retaining bolt is 3/8 X 7/8". Length is critical. It positions the main shaft, and is easy to omit if you are not familiar with it. I incorrectly said it goes between the u-joint and the main shaft. We found this to be the cause of shifting problems a couple of month ago in a friend's car, as it changes the clearance. Other possibilities include a misalignment of the column shift levers due to wear or need of adjustment. Disconnect the shift rods and place the shift lever in neutral then, with the transmission side shift levers both in neutral, see if the rods slip into place without interference. The rods can be adjusted if there is a problem. Sometimes a transmission overhaul can change that adjustment.

ford1941    -- 06-11-2011 @ 5:22 AM
  Thank you for all the tips. I have tried all of these ideas and a few others (changed the gear lube to a 75W 90), and am still having difficulties downshifting. I fear I may have an issue with the fit of my new replacement syncro rings. For now I have resorted to double clutching (which works) until I can figure the problem out, which will likely mean taking apart the trans again. Thanks again!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3203