Topic: Phony Baloney

ford38v8    -- 06-07-2011 @ 10:55 PM
  Apparently, gone are the days when we could count on admiring a fellow V8ers car on the cover of the V8 Times. This issue's cover is a mishmash of half a dozen different pictures Photoshopped, airbrushed, amateurish, and very lame.

You made your point, Jerry. Now promise us you'll never do it again if the members keep you supplied with pics suitable for the cover?

Members: Front Cover pics need to be tall, Back Cover pics can be panoramic. Turn your camera sideways to get a pic to fit the Front Cover. Jerry is desperate for pics! Heck, he even put my old wreck on the cover once, and he didn't airbrush the Desert Waterbag hanging from the bumper, either!

Alan

proxie35    -- 06-08-2011 @ 5:48 AM
  Personally I think the cover looks Great. Good job Jerry.

Sherrel

kubes40    -- 06-08-2011 @ 6:34 AM
  Just for fun, how about we have a little contest here?
Let's call it: "See how many things you can find wrong with the cover."
Funny, but supposedly the guy that did this takes great pride in detail. Really?
Okay, I'll start:
1) The car is going 15mph. In REVERSE! Plus, no one is driving. An accident waiting to happen!
2) Shadows are from two completely different directions.
Okay, there are at least six more. I gave you guys a start. Have fun!

37 Coupe    -- 06-08-2011 @ 7:14 AM
  I think it is an interesting and colorfull front cover. There have been other covers that have been artistically altered before photoshop or chop or whatever like Jan/Feb 1994 just for starters.

fomocomandan    -- 06-08-2011 @ 8:06 AM
  When I first received my issue and looked at the cover, I thought it was kind of neat, until I looked in the magazine and saw a similar one. I found the inside one was an advertisement for Wheels of Time. Besides the fact that both pictures are inaccurate, the cover itself turns out to be an unbelievable free advertisement for a vendor. I think Jerry has his lines crossed between members and vendors. This is a member publication. Members should come first and the cover should be a member’s car. Not an example of a vendors work.

deuce_roadster    -- 06-08-2011 @ 8:33 AM
  I wonder how many complainers have produced an award winning publication for as many years as Jerry has. Get a life. Picking apart something as subjective as a picture is something I find lame. There is far too much negativity these days in all aspects of our lives.

Stroker    -- 06-08-2011 @ 9:01 AM
  Mike:

At least he's not in overdrive. Radio antenna is a "bit" short, and interior sun angle is
pretty low for 11:10AM in the summer. Actually, overall I like the effort, and who is to say that the 39 doesn't belong to a Club member. Fellow's temp gauge appears to be working, motor's not running hot, but he really needs to get the speedo fixed. Jerry does a magnificent job with the Times, and while I'm not a PhotoShop fan, I appreciate the effort.

Dan

fomocomandan    -- 06-08-2011 @ 9:22 AM
  We know that it is a lot of work to put out a magazine. As an editor of the EFV-8 Times, our National Publication, the publication should be as accurate as possible. These two pictures are far from accurate. That is not the only thing: the past two years the Roster cover has been camouflaged street rods that were owned by Bob Drake. That is the reason for my comment referring to members versus vendors. There should have been member cars in these three places.
EFV-8 Club was meant to preserve the Early Ford V-8's, not to promote hot-rods in any way. That seems to be the direction lately. These folks need to join a street-rod club if that's the direction they want to go.
You want to talk about negativity and picking something apart; there wasn’t much in our regional group’s newsletter for four years before this past year. My wife and I volunteered to take it over. Neither one of us had ever done anything like this before, but we got members involved by sending us stories about their V-8 Ford’s to publish. We had many members tell us how great it was, and that finally there was something interesting to read in it. Even though it took us a lot of time, we were very enthusiastic about doing it. Apparently Windell got a copy of it, and didn't like because it was not journalistically correct. One of the things he called it was a mess (along with many other negative comments), because it had too much printing per page. Club members sent us stories and we made sure to include them in our monthly newsletter. After receiving Windells negative comments (not one positive comment), that took out the enjoyment for us, and after this month we are giving it up. It is a shame because our club members did enjoy our work. Our club consists of 80 members; it is not a national publication. We didn't know you had to be a professional journalist to put out a newsletter for a regional group. Sounds like Windell has enough problems on his plate without sticking his nose into Regional Group newsletters. I can say at least I know the difference between a Cabriolet and a Roadster, which he didn't a few months ago. Now Windle needs a proofreader?
Does that sound like sour grapes? Yeah, maybe!

37 Coupe    -- 06-08-2011 @ 9:40 AM
  Sounds like sour fermented grapes to me.

MG    -- 06-08-2011 @ 10:28 AM
  Picky, picky, picky!!! What a bunch of whiny old 'BIDDIES'! And people ask me why I don't become more involved with the EFV8 Club and especially it's RG's. With all the ragging Jerry has to take with every issue of the Times, I'm amazed at his intestinal fortitude in staying on as it's Editor. The V8 Times is the primary reason I belong to this so called 'club'. Again, "what a bunch whiny of old 'biddies'"!!!

This message was edited by MG on 6-8-11 @ 5:19 PM

46fordnut    -- 06-08-2011 @ 4:04 PM
  sometimes the underdog gets over looked .....you need to look past some of the short comings you gripe about and think of the information that is printed within those pages! some of the things or information cant be found anywhere. take a short time to think about the idea of why you get the books. is it about the way the cover looks or the pictures? this maybe a small part, but the big reason i would think is for the great information you just may find between the cover and the end of the books you get. this is just my 2 cents but its just what i see.

100 horse running wild

alanwoodieman    -- 06-08-2011 @ 5:38 PM
  if Windle commented on a local club newsletter, solicited or not, in the way one writer has said it is a shame. I know how hard it is to get people to do the various jobs. I have been a national member for years and a few years as a member of a local club. I have been to several National Meets and was very dissapointed in the attitudes of the people present, I am only a NATIONAL member because of the tremendous amount of information in the V8 Times. Jerry does a very good job in what is really a thankless job. I for one say Thank You very much to Jerry for a job that you do.

kubes40    -- 06-08-2011 @ 6:52 PM
  n/m

This message was edited by kubes40 on 6-9-11 @ 6:58 AM

kubes40    -- 06-08-2011 @ 6:53 PM
  Yeah, that lengthy article about Jeeps and tanks was wonderful. The reason I can't wait to get my next issue is articles like that!
By the way, not exactly a "thankless job". The man gets paid to do this job.

40guy    -- 06-08-2011 @ 7:07 PM
  First of all let me say I've never met Jerry Windle. I only "know" him from his writings. Myself; I did'nt have a problem with the cover. If I see something that doesn't interest me I either skim through it or just don't read it. I feel some of you guys are being too harsh on the man. I don't know how many times I've read his "editors column" and thought how glad I was that I didn't have to put this magazine together! Lighten up, he's only human.

Bill Wright    -- 06-08-2011 @ 7:44 PM
  I'm with MG!
Bunch of Whiners.
I like the odd bits and vaguely related topics the magazine covers.(Pun intended)
It looks good.
You don't like the topic or picture?
Move on.

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

ford38v8    -- 06-08-2011 @ 7:51 PM
  When I started this post, I have to admit that I had ill feelings about the phony baloney cover itself, but the bigger goal was to let the members know that it could have been their car on the cover instead of an artful collage of no particular significance.

THe V8 Times is about us, and for us, and Jerry endeavors to provide what we want between those two covers. There are hundreds if not thousands of members who had no idea that their car could possibly occupy that place of honor.

My goal is to spur you guys to get out the photo album and find a nice picture of your car. Send it to Jerry and cross your fingers. Besides the obvious pleasures of having your car picked, I can tell you that there is an un expected treat coming your way if Jerry does in fact pick your car!

Now do it and quit muttering like old men.

Alan

trjford8    -- 06-08-2011 @ 8:02 PM
  Fomocomandan, are you sure that Jerry was the one who critiqued your newsletter? Generally newsletters are critiqued by the person who rates the newsletters for the contest. Personally I have not known Jerry to randomly critique newsletters. Did you ask him to critique it? If so, you opened yourself up for an opinion. Just for info many of us have streetrods and stock V-8s. We pay our dues, support the club, attend regional meets and volunteer our time to judge ,help with registration,help organize national meets, etc. We do support the mission of the club.Some of us even spend time on this website helping folks with flathead problems.Sorry that some of us don't quite fit your idea of a V-8er.
Kube, Jerry does get paid to do the job, but if you examine the salary vs the salary of the editors for other car magazines it is a very small amount. As the person doing the 40 book you well know how much time goes into putting a publication together. I would not attempt to do either job just knowing the amount of time it takes and the research to get it right. My wife worked for 8 years for Lorin Sorensen, so I know how much effort goes into magazines and books.
I don't have my Times yet, but commenting on the cover would be the last thing on my mind.I recall years ago a club member's car was on the front cover with a young lady in a short skirt sitting behind the wheel. Poor old Bob McCoppin took all kinds of heat from a bunch of women from "Women's Christian Temperance Union"(members wives,LOL) about an inappropriate cover. Some went as far as trying to cancel their husband's membership.
I've been a member since 1974 and have seen all types of controversy in this club. All minor stuff, but some take it way out of perspective. The 41-48 issue, the 49-53 issue, the re-alignment issue(giving other areas of the U.S. more say in club business), the "racy" cover issue, and now the June-July cover issue. I'm sure I missed a few controversies, but you get the idea. So folks, sit back, put your feet up, and read the V-8 Times like you always do every two months. This too shall pass.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-8-11 @ 8:49 PM

itstom    -- 06-08-2011 @ 9:24 PM
  I'm relatively new to all of this, as I have only been active with early v-8's for a few years. And I straddle the line a bit between original and restored cars. I have a bone stock '39 Fordor (that will always be bone stock) and a '41 coupe that is a driver with headers and tube shocks.

I enjoy both cars, but would never expect a picture of the '41 to be in the Times. Because the Times, and this club, are for cars that are original, or restored in a manner that is in keeping with the way Henry intended them to be built. Period. That's what this club is about. And the Times, in my opinion, should champion those goals and assist people in restoring their cars correctly if they do choose to restore them.

I would not post a question on this forum about a 2x2 intake for my '41, that's what the HAMB is for. Likewise, no one over there knows or cares about the correct hardware I need for the hood of my '39.

Those of us who don't like doctored images or ads for hotrod parts in the Times are not whiners and cry-babies, we are people who expect to receive the product we are paying for. Does anyone believe that it is harder to compile a magazine that supports the stated goals of the club than to compile a magazine that does not? Bob Drake can still advertise, but how about backing off the chrome headers and blue dot tail lights.

Are there any members who would cancel their subscriptions if the photos and articles were more accurate? I didn't think so. Now, are there any members who would cancel their subscriptions if the photos and articles are not more accurate in the future? I think I see a few hands.

So please, mister editor, just give us what we pay for.

Tom

fomocomandan    -- 06-09-2011 @ 5:15 AM
  In response to trjford8: Yes, it is a thankless job. First, we did not ask to be critiqued. When we took our groups newsletters over, a copy of this had always been sent to Jerry, we continued the practice. An e-mail from Jerry was sent to a fellow club member, he forwarded us Jerry’s e-mail. So yes, I do know it was from Windell. If Jerry had a problem with the newsletter, he should have addressed us personally, not just someone he knows. I can agree that Windell puts out a good magazine. My problem is, I don’t think its right that a street rod was used for the last two years on the cover of the roster. The photos were tricked out to hide that they were street-rods. That in itself is an insult. The second thing is this month’s cover: authenticity aside, this amounts to a free advertisement for a business. I still maintain a member’s vehicle should have been used on these covers. As far as the street rod issue goes, I think what everyone is up in arms about is the modern street-rod. Back in the old days, street-rods were made out of cars that were too far gone to restore. I’ve done that in the past myself. The modern street-rod in many cases, these people aren’t even real car people. They see all this stuff on these hyped up TV shows and figure I want one of those. What has happened is, cars that were mint original cars, and cars restored to Dearborn standards are being destroyed. One car here locally was a 36 Ford with 6,000 actual miles on it. This car was a piece of history, its gone forever, turned into a street-rod. If this was a rare occasional happening, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. It is now become the norm. That’s why this club is needed in its original state, so what is left can be preserved. If you’re thinking this is not necessarily so, in this area it definitely is. A friend of mine who is a dealer, buying and selling old Fords for years, now almost everyone he sells goes to a street-rodder. It makes him sick, but that is his business. That is why I get upset when I see anything in the V-8 Times that promtes street-rod or hot-rods. There are other venues out there if you’re interested in that type of car. Promoting hot rods or hot-rod meets has no place in the V-8 Times.
For those that think some are biddies and whiners, this is a V-8 forum for discussions, that is what is happening; discussion.
Tom, I believe you hit the nail on the head.

JM    -- 06-09-2011 @ 8:00 AM
  Jerry Windle personally took several pictures of my original Rouge class '35 fordor slantback sedan at the 2010 WNM in St George, Utah. I would be extremely honored if he would use one of these pictures on either the front or back cover of the V8 Times. I'm sure many other members would also be honored to have a picture of their car on the cover or anywhere in the V8 Times. Is it a requirement that we request our cars to be shown on the cover? If so, Jerry, you have my permission.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 6-10-11 @ 6:08 AM

kubes40    -- 06-09-2011 @ 8:56 AM
  I feel Itstom and Fomocomandan hit it right on the head. This isn't simply about the cover "art". It's about the obvious trend the magazine has taken over the past couple of years. Anyone and everyone is able to (SHOULD) read the bylaws. This club is all about the preservation, restoration and maintenance of authenticity.
Don't like that? You'd rather have a rod? Okay. That's fine. But don't think for a moment it's okay to change this club to suit that purpose. Being a member means you've agreed to support the bylaws. Being a board member and / or employee of this club means it is your SWORN DUTY to be certain those bylaws are enforced.
Sure, it's easier to "look the other way" and attempt to keep everyone happy. But, guess what? Keeping everyone happy is never going to happen.
That brings us squarely back to the beginning: Do what you were elected to do, what you are paid to do whether or not it is necessarily what you'd prefer.
Don't want to? Can't? Then quit.

supereal    -- 06-09-2011 @ 11:29 AM
  Against my better judgement, I'll offer an opinion, too. I've been receiving the V8 TIMES since 1975 and have seen plenty of changes over the years, usually reflecting prevailing interests. I don't recall any campaign to restrict the publication to please only the purists. It is likely that the TIMES, along with the Club, would have disappeared long ago in that event. I'm not a street rod, or "resto-rod" fancier, but witness that even a stalwart such as Bob Drake has enlarged his wares to include those who are, in order to survive as we "flatheads" reach the "golden years". I admire Editor Windle's ability to keep the TIMES not only going, but fresh.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-9-11 @ 5:36 PM

Norm    -- 06-09-2011 @ 6:04 PM
  I've been reading this thread and my tongue is sore from my biting it. I can't resist anymore.

I've been a club member for quite a few years. Probably about 20. I agree with the notion that the club is committed to originality, nor street rods, resto-rods, etc. as outlined in the bylaws.

I saw the comments before I got my copy of the Times, which arrived yesterday. I was expecting to see some cobbled up mess that wouldn't live up to our usual high expectations. What I saw, instead, was a cover that celebrates combining the pleasure of an outing in an old car with the celebration of summer and the Fourth of July in a quintessential American small town. I didn't find it necessary to examine the shadows in the picture to see if they all went the same way or what gear the car seemed to be in. Is that important? Sure, I like to drool over the pictures on the cover of cars I'll never have, but I also enjoy having my car out in town enjoying the summer. To me, that's the essence of the hobby.

I own a dead-stock Rouge-class car and will keep it that way. I also drive it around and enjoy every minute of it.

Jerry Windle (can't you guys even spell his name right?) puts out a top-notch magazine that addresses a lot of interesting subjects. Sure, some are more interesting than others, reflecting my own personal interests. I certainly haven't noticed a decline in quality over the years or a shift away from "the way Henry made it".

I guess what surprises me most of all is the vitriol I'm reading. It's inappropriate and infantile.

JMHO.

Norm

ford38v8    -- 06-09-2011 @ 8:29 PM
  To all those who have hijacked my post, it has been an interesting read, to say the least.

What this thread shows above all is that there are passionate people involved here that have very definite ideas about the future of the Club. We've always had the passion, and it ain't goin' away any time soon. Most of you guys know me to be a Purist, but I'll tell you right now that I'd also love to have a Deuce Highboy, and I don't think anyone here could honestly claim that they wouldn't enjoy having one too.

We are passionate about Fords, our Families, our Club, and our Friends. We hijack each others posts to make our feelings clear, and that's good. The only thing I'm sorry about with this post is that my message seems to have got lost in the shuffle:

Does anyone here really prefer this month's cover to an actual picture of a Member's car? Defend the Baloney as art if you will, but artwork doesn't belong on the cover of our V8 Times! We want our traditional V8 Times Cover back again! Jerry, Help! I know you're reading all this! Tell them how to get their cars on the cover.

Alan

TomO    -- 06-10-2011 @ 6:57 AM
  Alan,

I like to see good photos of the dash boards and other interior appointments as well as photos of cars. This particular photo shop exercise tries to make the dashboard photo interesting.

Jerry Windle does a great job of publishing a great magazine 6 times a year. The cover photos take a lot of research to find something that is interesting to the general membership and IMHO, Jerry is in tune with the majority of the membership, who like to drive, show their cars and read about them. This may irritate the people that only trailer their cars to shows, but I think that the Club has room for both groups.

With digital cameras, it has become more affordable to take quality photos, but not everyone has the ability to take photos that are interesting enough for the cover of the V-8 Times.

Tom

trjford8    -- 06-10-2011 @ 8:19 PM
  Since I have V-8 Times dating back to 1967 I did a check to see how many issues did not have a member's car on the cover. From 1967 to 1996 I found that 21 covers did not have a member's car on the front cover. The covers ranged from having Ford factory photos, to water color paintings of V-8s,a couple of covers using photo negatives of V-8s, some covers with Ford advertising of new cars, one with a painting from an ad in Ford News, one of a Christmas ornament reflecting a 53 Merc grille, one of a painting of a Christmas scene, and one of a members 41 convertible driving on a ribbon of 1000 bills. Talk about a computer modified photo, this one of the 41 was done by a friend of editor Bob McCoppin. Just for info the one cover that created the big controversy with the young girl in the Merc convert was the March/April 1992 issue.
There is no mandate that the cover of the Times contain a photo of a member's car. I just received my V-8 Times today and I'm still trying to figure out why there is such a big fuss. I gave it to my wife(who has taken many classes in photography) and asked her if she saw anything wrong with the cover. Her comment " I think it's a cool photo, it makes me feel like I'm drivng down the street in the convertible".
So I'll go back to my original post. For those that don't like the cover you need to remain calm and take a deep breath.Ignore the cover and read the magazine as if you never saw the cover. Life is way too short to have some minor issue such as a magazine cover cause your blood pressure to rise or put your shorts in a knot. This too shall pass and be forgotten once you get the September/October issue.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3202