Topic: 1933/34 phaeton

Robert    -- 11-16-2009 @ 1:43 PM
  hi to you all

could anyone tell me if there is a difference between a 33 and 34 phaeton body.

thanks in advance

rob

BrianCT    -- 11-16-2009 @ 5:26 PM
  '33' has one hood latch handle, curved louvers, curved grill, dash instruments are in separate panel. There are other things but that is enough to tell which is which.

trjford8    -- 11-16-2009 @ 7:29 PM
  If you are just talking about the body there are no differences.If you are talking about the difference between the 33 and 34 model phaeton, Brian gave you alsmost all the differences.

3w2    -- 11-16-2009 @ 9:18 PM
  Yes, there really are differences in the two model years' North American-manufactured phaeton bodies. If you count the instrument panel as part of the body, that's the most obvious one. Second, the attachment for the rear of the hood side panels on the cowl sides differ noticeably. Lastly, and perhaps the easiest to overlook difference is in the bottom of the front seat back panel which is recessed forward on a '34 providing about 3 to 4 inches of more toe room for the rear seat passengers. (The '34 rear floor mat is corresponding longer front to back as a result.)

deuce_roadster    -- 11-16-2009 @ 9:21 PM
  There are some body differences in the cowl area relataed to the hood. As mentioned elsewhere the 33 has a single hood handle and a different type of latch where the hood latches to the cowl. The 34 has a hole where the handle latches and the 33 has a bracket. Also, there is a lack of a dip in the top of the cowl to rest the lower rear hood into when the hood is in the UP position. There are probably other slight differences somewhere but these 2 are common difference to all 33-34 passenger body styles. You could identify the year of a bare 33-4 phaeton body this way.

trjford8    -- 11-17-2009 @ 8:09 AM
  Roadster, thanks for the info. I forgot about the hole in the cowl for the hood catch and the dip in the top of the cowl to hold the hood.Haven't owned a 33 or 34 for years and memory gets a little fuzzy.

BrianCT    -- 11-17-2009 @ 3:28 PM
  So Robert, why do you ask about the phaetons?

Robert    -- 11-17-2009 @ 5:33 PM
  hi
i have a phaeton body,its actually from australia,and has some pieces missing and was wondering if i look for parts could i also look for 34' i have just recently purchased a pair of australian door pillars but need a dash and possibly doors,although i have a perfect set from a 33 fordor which i could re-fabricate the top piece i would rather have them original
rob

Manuel    -- 11-18-2009 @ 5:41 PM

Hi Rob,
USA and Oz bodies are different. Oz bodies are full of wood. Also the doors are shorter and don't go all the way down to the running boards.
There are other differences as well.
HTH
Manuel in Oz

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=320