Topic: factory abbreviations

Dobie    -- 06-05-2011 @ 8:03 PM
  Does anyone know the letter combination for the ford assembly plants? IE: TC for the Twin Cities or the st. paul ford plant. New Jersey had 3 letters but what were they?
Dobie

deluxe40    -- 06-06-2011 @ 9:50 AM
  Here are the ones in the club's 49-50-51 Book (available online):

AT - Atlanta, GA
BF - Buffalo, NY
CS - Chester, PA
CH - Chicago, IL
DL - Dallas, TX
DA - Dearborn, MI
EG - Edgewater, NJ
KC - Kansas City, MO
LB - Long Beach, CA
LU - Louisville, KY
MP - Memphis, TN
NR - Norfolk, VA
RH - Richmond, CA
SR - Somerville, MA
SP - St. Paul (Twin Cities), MN
HP (1949) & HM (1950) - Highland Park, MI

(I figured typing these in would help me learn them)

Dobie    -- 06-06-2011 @ 7:26 PM
  The Patent plate on late 40's car has a silver square in the upper right corner. In that square are stamped some letters. Thus far I've found (EDG) (SOM) (CGO) and (TC). So what are the rest of the assembly plant letters? The letters changed after the '48 model year, as near as I can tell.
The aftermarket Patent Plate you buy does not have the silver square and I would think a judge would notice this and deduct a point or two.

42wagon    -- 06-07-2011 @ 3:28 AM
  Dobie
It is my understanding that up to 48 (or possibly late 47) Ford only used an engine serial number with no indication of where the car was assembled or any of the other info a modern vin number will give you. In 48 Ford added a box to the patent plate in which was stamped the assembly plant code. Because the use of this patent plate is for a relatively small number of vehicles the big suppliers haven't seen fit to duplicate it. Even if they do you need special tooling to reproduce the code letters.

If you are intent on having a replacement for the plate in your car try AG Backeast who specializes in reproduction data plates.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3189