Topic: 1950 fORD REAR WINDOW

EWATERS    -- 06-05-2011 @ 6:08 PM
  I recently had a new headliner installed in my 1950 Ford. The seal for the rear window is a double-groove with an outer-groove to accommodate a chrome trim strip. It appears the installer wasn't as experienced as expected. The chrome is not fully seated in the groove and the seal itself is distorted in several places. I fear I will have to obtain another seal and try to install it myself. The Ford shop manual includes instruction steps that seem workable (I hope). Can anyone offer some words of advice/encouragement re installing the rear window seal with the chrome trim? I hope to restore the car as "original" and am reticent to eliminate the chrome trim by installing a single-groove seal as recommended by the previous installer. Any advice will be greatly appreciated; Thank yoy.

supereal    -- 06-06-2011 @ 10:20 AM
  Putting the seal in place isn't a difficult job, but the gasket must go in before the trim is added. If the installer tried to do it with the trim in place. it usually either causes ripples in the gasket and/or partial destruction of the trim. When I bought my '47 years ago. someone had hammered the windshield trim in place, destroying the appearance. You have to lube the groove with dish soap than, starting in the middle, work the trim out both directions.

proxie35    -- 06-07-2011 @ 7:57 PM
  No,No, supereal, just as the green bible says. you install the glass in the seal, then install the trim in the seal, then install the unit into the car body. Sherrel

flathead4rd    -- 06-08-2011 @ 7:30 AM
  Sherrel is right. Seal on glass, Trim on seal and then install as a unit. The trim is the hardest part. Get about a dozen spring loaded clamps, start the trim in the center (bottom) and clamp it about every six to eight inches as you install the trim. It helps to have two people so get an assistant.

EWATERS    -- 06-10-2011 @ 8:56 AM
  Thanks for the hints; I am anticipating the task with great trepidation. If it is as straight-forwrd as the shop manual implies, all should go well. However, "Murphy's Law" notwithstanding, if there is an unexpected glitch it can become quite a hassle. So. all the hints I can acquire will help in achieving a smooth/satifying result.

EWATERS    -- 06-10-2011 @ 8:57 AM
  Thanks for the hints; I am anticipating the task with great trepidation. If it is as straight-forwrd as the shop manual implies, all should go well. However, "Murphy's Law" notwithstanding, if there is an unexpected glitch it can become quite a hassle. So. all the hints I can acquire will help in achieving a smooth/satifying result.

EWATERS    -- 06-10-2011 @ 8:57 AM

supereal    -- 06-10-2011 @ 10:04 AM
  We put the trim in after the glass and seal are in place, regardless of "what the book says". Otherwise it is nearly impossible to get the gasket (seal) to lay flat around the opening, particularly if the trim is not absolutely straight. I didn't know we have been doing it wrong over the years.

flathead4rd    -- 06-11-2011 @ 6:33 AM
  Supereal; Just curious if there is a difference when installing the trim on the single groove seal as compared to the double groove seal? Mine had the double groove and I couldn't get it to work while on the car. I can see how the single groove would be much easier.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3188