Topic: 47 ford deluxe vin decoding?

wezil1669    -- 06-04-2011 @ 1:42 PM
  hey everyone i just bought a 47 sedan deluxe, i am looking for vin decoding. so i can figure out what color the car was when it was new, interior ect. if anyone could point me in the right direction, i would really be thankful. thanks

here are some pics of when i picked her up, after being stored in a garage for about 14 years. and after i cleaned her up...

wezil1669    -- 06-04-2011 @ 1:48 PM
  cleaned up, solid car no rust......

supereal    -- 06-04-2011 @ 1:56 PM
  Your car has no VIN as such. The number on your title (hopefully), and on the left front frame rail, is the production serial number. It can come close to the time of production, but that is the extent of the info. The best, and likely only, way to know what color the car was painted is to look in such places as the firewall, behind the trim or other ornamental pieces, or the underside of the trunk lid, etc. Usually, this is a sort of detective adventure. There is lots of information in the Club's 41-48 book, available here on the site, and I encourage you to obtain one. It will answer many of your questions and is a masterwork regarding your car. Have fun with your "new" car!

wezil1669    -- 06-04-2011 @ 2:07 PM
  thanks, for the info. im gonna order a book right now also in the flat head v8, where is the thermostat located. i had 2 new water pumps installed and i think its running kinda hot so i want to check them but not sure where they are located and if i take it to the mech. its an expensive job.

supereal    -- 06-04-2011 @ 2:18 PM
  The thermostats are located in the upper radiator hoses. Unless you are planning to drive the car in cold weather, I'd remove the stats. It can be a problem keeping them in place in the hoses. The best way is use an additional hose clamp(s) to secure them. Running hot is a problem with lots of causes. More often than not, it stems from a radiator that is partially plugged. Since most places no longer have a decent radiator shop, expensive replacement may be the only remedy. The new high volume water pumps do help if the radiator isn't completely plugged. This is a familiar Ford problem, and many on this site will be glad to assist you in getting your car ready and safe.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3182