Topic: 46 Trunk Handles

Steves46    -- 06-04-2011 @ 1:04 PM
  Other than trying to locate an NOS trunk handle, do the Bob Drake handles fit perfectly or is there some "jerry rigging" required like the ones sold by Vintique? My Vintique just bit the bullet..fortunatley I was able to open the trunk with a long screwdriver. I see the Drake versions also are available as an entire assy that includes the license light. Appreciate any feedback. Steve

supereal    -- 06-04-2011 @ 1:59 PM
  Steve: The early production trunk handle sold by Drake were not good. I suspect that they came from the same source as Vintique. Mine simply fell apart. Drake then said they produced their own version, and I have one, after an idiot rear ended my '47 and ruined my NOS handle. It required no fitting, and has the added advantage of being able to be opened without having to unlock it each time, as the other handle did.

Steves46    -- 06-04-2011 @ 4:39 PM
  Thanks! I'll go with the new and improved Drake handle. Since I will still be using the original license light, I hope there will not be any fit issues. I checked Drake's website for the entire assy but $200 for the complete set-up is a bit more than I would like to spend.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-05-2011 @ 9:28 AM
  Place a ad for what you want in the WANT AD section of this web site,.you never know...!!!
hope this helps. 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 06-05-2011 @ 11:17 AM
  I'm not sure that Drak's handle will work with the original base, so be sure to ask before you order. That said, I've found that their order takers often don't know much about their wares. Any part that has quality plating is going to be expensive.

Steves46    -- 06-05-2011 @ 2:01 PM
  I agree and unless I can find an original handle, I may have to bite the bullet and get the entore assy. Like I mentioned earlier, I was a bit stunned on the cost but who said this great hobby is easy on the wallet! Oh well.

Steves46    -- 06-10-2011 @ 3:33 AM
  Update....since I purchased the Vintique handle from Joe's Antique Auto, I contacted Joe to inquire about the Drake handles. He was suprised to hear what happened and provided me a replacement Vintique handle at no charge! Great guy to do business with! Anyhow, I received the handle and although it went in ok, at best, there was only 1 to 2 threads visible for the large nut to secure the handle. Is that normal? Talk about a bear to tighten!

supereal    -- 06-10-2011 @ 10:26 AM
  That is about normal. The big nut is thin, anyway, and as long as it tightens securely, I wouldn't worry about it. After my car was rear ended, and the trunk lid straightened by my body man, I had to do some work to get the big nut on, at all. I think the guys who aeembled these things at the factory must have been elves with tiny hands!

Steves46    -- 06-10-2011 @ 10:48 AM
  Thanks Bob. Amen to that...elve size hands would do much better when it comes to tightening that nut! Thank God for channel-lock pliers.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-10-2011 @ 5:54 PM
  STEVES46
is this what you are looking for a trunk handle? if so PM me
37 RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 6-10-11 @ 5:54 PM

Steves46    -- 06-12-2011 @ 10:52 AM
  Hi 37. That's what I was loking for but my supplier of the original one that broke (Joe's Antique Auto) gave me another at no cost. Talk about great service! Thanks for taking the time to post the photo. Steve

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-12-2011 @ 12:47 PM
  that's good but this one is original FORD and there is a difference,
GOOD LUCK with the new one,hope it works out for you.
37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3181