Topic: glass setting tape

parrish    -- 06-03-2011 @ 8:57 AM
  WOW! Anybody ever had the pleasure of trying to replace windshield glass? I have this 1/16 setting tape that is really nice material, but trying to set the new glass in a 39 windshield frame requires the patience of Job and then some. I first tried putting the tape (2 pieces...one for the vertical divider and the second for the bottom half) in the bottom frame channel and then inserting the glass. Not so swell. I then tried holding the tape around the glass and pushing the glass into the frame channel with careful application of a rubber mallet. Not much fun. The tape seems a little too thick. It seems that thinner self adhesive tape wrapped on the glass edge would work...Any advice would be much appreciated.

supereal    -- 06-03-2011 @ 1:39 PM
  Setting tape comes in three widths: 3/64, 1/16, & 5/64. Using a digital caliper, measure the channel, then the glass, and divide by two to get the correct tape. If the tape is the correct size, the glass should slip into the channel with only a mild resistance. The main problem today is that the modern glass is just a bit thicker than the original. If you force the glass into the frame, there is a good chance you will destroy the frame or glass. Don't ask.

kubes40    -- 06-03-2011 @ 3:25 PM
  1/16" tape you will find to be way too thick.
I have found modern glass to be thinner than the stock by about .020" in most cases.
Anyway, you can use electrical tape instead of glass setting tape. The tape serves more as a "cushion" rather than a seal. You may have to use two or perhaps even three layers of electrical tape to get the proper "feel".
No, this is not some backyard "quick fix" but a tried & true method used by many professional shops.
Mike

MG    -- 06-04-2011 @ 11:51 AM
  Would a silicon adhesive/sealant like RTV work for this application?

35topdown    -- 06-04-2011 @ 12:26 PM
  I just got through the same problem with installing glass in a dual cowl after the frames were rechromed. After several trys using different materials, I finally found that smearing some silicone paste (not adhesive) into the groove and a little on the tape let the glass slide right in. The paste is about the consistancy of Vasiline - which might also work. Most auto supplie carry it. I tried silicone spray, grease, water, & soap with no luck, only the paste worked.

parrish    -- 06-04-2011 @ 7:04 PM
  As the frame needs to be sealed anyway, I'm thinking of trying MG's idea of silicone. I'll lay down narrow strips of the glass setting tape in the bottom of the frame channel (but not up the frame sides where the tape is too thick to accept the glass) and then backfill those gaps with black RTV. Seems like it should work as a seal and buffer...

parrish    -- 06-11-2011 @ 8:15 AM
  Update for those contemplating the same: I cut strips of the glass setting tape about 5/16 wide (to cover only the bottom of the frame channel...the risers of the channel are ignored at this point). These were long enough to span the bottom frame from the vertical support to the frame split with an extra inch at the split for finger hold during glass insertion. Pushed the tape into the frame. Same strips for the vertical support channel, but instead used dabs of contact cement to hold it to the glass so it wouldn't fold in the channel when I inserted the glass. Inserted glass with no big deal. Cut off the extra finger hold. Same strips pushed into the top frame. Lowered top frame onto the now inserted glass bottom frame. Again, no big deal. I then used black silicone to fill the gaps of the channel risers. The glass edge is now cushioned by the setting tape with the glass sides cushioned by the silicone. Whole frame sealed by the silicone.

FlatheadTed    -- 06-12-2011 @ 3:20 AM
  There is the Urethane used in modern screens ,it wipes of easy were silicone can roll, mask up if possible to save on clean up .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3176