Topic: Effect of low or no zinc oils on Flatheads

carcrazy    -- 11-15-2009 @ 5:57 PM
  Does the use of modern oils with reduced zinc levels have an adverse effect on our Flathead V8's? If so, what areas will experience increased wear? Is there a substitute additive or source of oil that can safely be used in the flatheads?

40guy    -- 11-15-2009 @ 6:17 PM
  I have read after many experts on this subject both pro and con. Without going into all the sordid details I have concluded that changing the oil very frequently is the key to avoiding engine damage in our flatheads.

ford38v8    -- 11-15-2009 @ 10:01 PM
  Carcrazy, with all due respect to 40guy's excellent advice, I don't think
he addressed your question adequately. You will find oils with higher
zinc levels, and you will find zinc additives for your favorite oil. The
zinc level is definitely a concern for certain early overhead engines, but
fortunately, our stock Ford flathead is immune from the type of
damage caused to those others.

For our Fords, the friction on high performance cams being more
extreme than on stock cams would be an area of concern. If you do
have an aftermarket cam, you'd be better off with an additive, but not
to worry if your engine is stock.

Alan

X38    -- 11-16-2009 @ 4:08 AM
  No real issues with an existing engine, the low/no zinc problems arise at the break in of a fresh one, specifically with cams. At that, it gets down to spring seat pressures, lift etc. Probably more of a worry for a hi-po or overhead build. But, if you're concerned about this at all, Comp Cams have a specific break-in oil that addresses the problems at that point in an engine's life.

supereal    -- 11-16-2009 @ 9:05 AM
  If you are concerned about zinc reduction in the "new" oils, just switch to Shell Rotella oil. Due to the very high compression of diesels, they need plenty of scuff protection. As said above, the concern should be focused on aftermarket camshafts. The original shafts almost always outlast the engine. Every time something changes, such as the switch to alcohol in gas, additives come out of the woodwork to take advantage of old car anxiety.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=317