Topic: Rotten top bow

35topdown    -- 05-31-2011 @ 11:53 AM
  My top bows looked in really good shape until I pulled off the top material. The wood underneath the material has some rotten areas that look like they have been patched with wood putty. It just flakes out and will not hold a staple. The other 2 look OK. Just the rear one has the wood rot. It's still strong, but I can't use a staple in it. Has anyone had any experience with Polyall 2000? It's a 2 part liquid that is supposed to fill in rotten wood. If it does what it's davertised to do, it looks like the eay to go.Or, does anyone have any other suggestions.

42ford    -- 05-31-2011 @ 12:16 PM
  Hey try it. If it works, you are way ahead. If not you are only out the cost of the resin

This message was edited by 42ford on 5-31-11 @ 12:18 PM

supereal    -- 05-31-2011 @ 12:50 PM
  Top bows, particularly the header, are often rotted. Replacements are not highly expensive, and by the time you try to repair them, you will have more time and money in them than new, and they won't hold tacks. We buy bows from LeBaron Bonney. All but the header come ready to install. Usually the header requires some fitting.

trjford8    -- 05-31-2011 @ 7:28 PM
  Check this site; www.rotdoctor.com. You might also do a search for a product called "Git Rot". This used to be sold in Hemmings Motor News. The early Chevrolet guys used this stuff a lot as Chevys prior to 37 had a lot of wood in the bodies.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-01-2011 @ 6:23 AM
  Like super said. replace the wood with NEW,
you do not need for the fastners coming loose a few years down the road,and the tops are not cheap,
no need to resort to short cuts,not worth putting a expensive top, not including paying the labor 2 times,to have the top put on,,even if you do it yourself,ask yourself....,,,,,,,
what happens when the top does come loose???
but that is my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3161