Topic: A Memorial Day Thought

ford38v8    -- 05-29-2011 @ 9:48 PM
  I'm sitting here tonight watching the Memorial Day Concert on PBS. It started with one of the best renditions of the Star Spangled Banner that I've heard in a long time. I'm a traditionalist, I appreciate the song as it has been sung over the years, the traditional way, not with the personalized version of the singer. Listening, I had to turn up the volume to the max, and, as always, I choked with emotion. As the camera panned the audience, I knew I wasn't alone in my feelings for this most American song.

I began typing just now with a dry eye, but forget that, for now I'm listening to Taps. I hope I don't misspell a word, because I can't see the keyboard, let alone the screen.

Veterans, Wives, Daughters, survivors, all with emotional stories to tell, all these tonight have been portrayed by famous entertainers, reciting those stories. How, how in the world are they able to do that, I wonder? How can any feeling human being recite those stories without choking on their words? I find this to be extremely puzzling. I can't listen to this stuff, nor could any person, I think, who has a heart, a soul, a feeling of compassion, certainly a feeling of pride in America, in being one part of this great country of ours.

I served, as many of those who will read this. We are the lucky ones. No, I don't agree that our wars have all been righteous. I do emphatically insist, however, that all our fallen warriors gave their all for the life we enjoy now and in the future. None died in vain, not one single hero, as all truly are.

I ramble on, and i've lost most of you, but for those who are still with me, I thank you, I thank our Veterans, I thank our fallen Heros. Yes, I thank those actors and actresses who recited those stories of great loss. We have to be reminded, but we do very much appreciate being Americans, don't we?

Alan

42wagon    -- 05-30-2011 @ 3:57 AM
  Alan
You said it far better than I could have. Too many people today see the day as only another chance to get away from our everyday existence and have no idea just what and why we are celebrating.

As one who served, as I believe many who are of the age to have the time to enjoy our cars, I thank you for your thoughts.
Ted

Stroker    -- 05-30-2011 @ 6:10 AM
  Amen

40guy    -- 05-30-2011 @ 7:12 AM
  Amen x 2. Thank you sir. Well stated. I especially like the part about the National Anthem being sung in traditional fashion. Some of these clowns who sing it today don't even know the words. I guess they are too concerned with how they can "jazz" it up to properly learn the lyrics. Thanks.

deuce_roadster    -- 05-30-2011 @ 8:25 AM
  It is great to see that todays vets are treated with the respect they deserve. We were allowed to come on and off base here in the US in civilian clothes to minimize the taunts of "baby killer" and worse.
Ex combat medic 14 May 1970-14 May 1974. Have seen the fallen up close and personal and think of them daily.

alanwoodieman    -- 05-30-2011 @ 9:30 AM
  I was in the Navy from 68 till 71 and we were told never to wear our uniforms to travel and off the base if at all possible. I still remember the taunts in the Atlanta Airport and the friendly stewardess who led us into the frequent flyers lounge to wait for our flight out. Times sure have changed!!

Norm    -- 05-30-2011 @ 10:18 AM
  US Navy 1958 to 1969. I watched that show, too, and had the same response about the wonderful way the Star Spangled Banner was sung. I thought the woman who spoke in place of the mother was a little choked up at the end.

I'm in total agreement with the thoughts in this thread.

Norm

Stroker    -- 05-30-2011 @ 10:30 AM
  Navy 62-66, After active duty in WesPac, I drilled for a year while finishing up college on the GI Bill. One day a week I had an afternoon lab just before going to drill. The campus was not a happy place to be wearing a uniform in 67.

Ex Tin Can Sailor (DD-786)

ford38v8    -- 05-30-2011 @ 12:39 PM
  59-63 USN Seabees. NAS Miramar motor pool; MCB 11 C Co. Port Hueneme, Guam, Midway; ACB 1 Coronado.

Alan

JM    -- 05-31-2011 @ 4:46 AM
  Sounds like some of us could be old Navy buddies and don't know it . I was also US Navy '62 to '66. Westpac USS Shelton DD790 and USS Mansfield DD728 out of Yakuska (or was that Yokuska?), Japan. Proud to have served my country!

JM

This message was edited by JM on 5-31-11 @ 5:04 AM

42wagon    -- 05-31-2011 @ 7:26 AM
  If I read the responses correctly, we all are ex-Navy. Could there be a connection between Boats, Ships, and old cars?

Ex Gator Sailor -1962-1966 USS Rockbridge APA 228, Naval Beach Group Two, Little Creek Virgina.

ford38v8    -- 05-31-2011 @ 12:13 PM
  59-63 USN Seabees. NAS Miramar motor pool; MCB 11 C Co. Port Hueneme, Guam, Midway; ACB 1 Coronado.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3156