Topic: Good economizer valves...where?

parrish    -- 05-29-2011 @ 7:58 AM
  OK, enough of the bad economizer valves. Let's do all members a favor and simply list who sells the correct valves that seat properly...for simplicity, let's assume you buy a kit for a Holley/Chandler 94 38-48. I'll start the converstion: C&G? Joblot? MACS? Carpenter? Vintage Speed? Others?

Thanks to all who respond!

Stroker    -- 05-29-2011 @ 8:08 AM
  Parrish et al: Personally, I'd start with Edelbrock, since they are manufacturing new 94's in the US.

supereal    -- 05-29-2011 @ 8:10 AM
  Most major vendors sell good quality power valves. We buy ours from C&G. The current leakage problem is mostly due to the failure of the valve to seat on the gasket due to an inadequate surface of the portion around the threads. The cure is to chuck it in a lathe and turn down the area to get a wider surface. Any decent machine shop can do it. Then, don't over tighten the valve, which will distort the gasket. I know you shouldn't have to modify a new valve, but almost all of them that are new enough to withstand the new gas have the problem. Gas leakage and loss of vacuum are caused by the failure to seal to the body of the carb.

51f1    -- 05-29-2011 @ 1:35 PM
  A problem I ran into with the valve is that the threaded portion was too long (it was longer than the valve I was replacing which was a previous replacement). When it was scr*w*d into the carb, the threads in the carb were not deep enough to allow it to be scr*w*d in far enough for the gasket to seal. The carb was a NOS Ford replacement.

Screwed?

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 5-29-11 @ 1:37 PM

ford38v8    -- 05-29-2011 @ 2:33 PM
  Richard, read Supereal's response. The rounded area at the base of the threads on the new valves is preventing full seating of the unit.

Alan

oldford2    -- 05-29-2011 @ 4:40 PM
  I agree with Parrish that this situation has gone on too long. It has been advised for several years that the valve seat has too much radius to seat sometimes and as some advisors say should be machined flat. But the machine cost would be far more than the valve cost.Now don't you thing all the major re=sellers could simply advise their sources of this problem. Ken CT and CharlieNY have good powervalves and Ken even had a lead washer to help the seating, For some reason they don't always post on this site. Uncle Max is another carb man that can help. I would order from these 3 guys before I would go to the big sellers who just deny there is a problem. John

supereal    -- 05-29-2011 @ 8:47 PM
  If you use a lead washer as a valve seal, be sure that it doesn't compress so far it interferes with the vacuum ports of the valve. As to getting the vendors to address the problem, most old car parts are made overseas, and they don't have a clue what they are. With carbs having become obsolete, we should be glad any parts are available. At our shop, we spend a lot of time getting these parts to work properly. Major vendors are usually your best bet for decent parts because they sell enough to prevent them from becoming old on the shelf.

40 Coupe    -- 05-30-2011 @ 4:13 AM
  Charlie Schwindler in NY had a article in the V8 Times regarding this issue, he can supply. Ken Isidor in CT, Max Musgrove in Utah. Dayton has a web site that addresses this issue as well as the incorrect length accelerator pump, they make and sell kits.

oldford2    -- 05-30-2011 @ 8:29 AM
  40 coupe
Do you know what issue Charlie NY's article was in?
As Supereal said, if you buy from the big vendors be prepared to do some machining. Buy from the "little guys" Thanks
John

This message was edited by oldford2 on 5-30-11 @ 8:31 AM

supereal    -- 05-30-2011 @ 4:21 PM
  We buy most of our parts from a West Coast vendor. Our experience with most of the East Coast places has been less than satisfactory. I suspect this is because there are many more old cars out there in CA.

ken ct.    -- 05-31-2011 @ 8:58 AM
  I and Charlie have quality PV's in #'s i carry #3.5,4.5 for 2X2 setups and 5.5 for single carb applications,none need machineing to fit right w/the proper gasket. 1-203-260-5945 cell ken ct. PS i have more trouble with this site being my ID and password keeps getting screwup. Thats why i dont post here much. Go to the new fordbarn website.Much easier there.

supereal    -- 05-31-2011 @ 12:55 PM
  If you are having trouble logging into this site, either you are using a bad "remembered" ID and password, or entering it incorrectly. I have it on three computers on different systems and on my I Pad and it never fails to log on.

JT Ford    -- 05-31-2011 @ 7:07 PM
  Daytona Parts Company New Smyrna Beach, FL
www.daytonaparts.com have the correct kit with the correct power valve and gasket to fit and the correct
plunger valve with the leather on the end.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3154