Topic: Sudden no spark?

wrosenkrans    -- 05-29-2011 @ 7:21 AM
  So, there we were at my niece's wedding where they wanted to use our '42 Tudor Sedan for pictures at the church, reception, and the Iwo Jima memorial in DC.

Trailered from Phila. to DC, unloaded, and got to the church flawlessly. Then on the drive from the church to the memorial, in the middle of Key Bridge, she sputtered, died, and we coasted to the Rosslyn side of the bridge. With the help of some passers-by, we pushed her into the Marriott parking lot and started diagnosing. No-start, fuel in the pump, no spark from a plug wire to head-nut. Got the tailer, loaded her up, took her back to the reception and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

Just changed the distributor, points, plug wires, and plugs and she'd been running like a sewing machine. I suspect the coil went bad, its the original coil. Any other thoughts?

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

Brendan    -- 05-29-2011 @ 7:32 AM
  maby the coil, i put a fresh motor in my 36 pickup last year. i sent the coil to Skip Henry in Florida, to get it rebuilt. i has it back in about 10 days and he did a great job. i think it set me back only 88 bucks. that may be a good start for you.
Brendan

supereal    -- 05-29-2011 @ 8:01 AM
  Don't start changing things until you find the cause of the problem, or you will likely have several problems. First, determine if you have voltage to the coil. If not, check at the resistor under the dash, if it isn't powered, go next to the ignition switch to see if it is, in fact, powering the coil. If all is well out to the coil, the distributor is the next stop. Remove the wire from the coil leading to the distributor. Check it with an ohmmeter with the other lead to ground. Turn the engine over and watch the meter to see if the points are opening and closing. If so, check with the meter across the coil? If you get a reading, chances are the coil hasn't gone open. Use a cheap analog meter, one with a needle. They are available at many places, and should be a part of everyone's road kit. Nothing is more frustrating than an old car that won't run, particularly when friends and family are watching. The number one thing to remember is that almost always, the last thing you did to the vehicle is the root of your new problem. Always diagnose, don't guess!

ford38v8    -- 05-29-2011 @ 10:36 AM
  Bob, I almost agree with you... "Nothing is more frustrating than an old car that won't run " is about equally as frustrating as an old wife that won't run!

The last thing I did to her? You mean when I told her to go out and get me some money?

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-29-2011 @ 12:22 PM
  The problem with the coil, they can work and then not work when they get used for a period of time,, sometimes very hard to determine exactly if they are the problem. The best was is to run the engine till it cr*ps out, use a ice pack on the coil, let it cool , when cool and it starts, the coil needs to be rebuilt,
this ice pack some might think is silly, but it has worked for me.
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 05-29-2011 @ 12:36 PM
  If putting on an ice bag fixes a coil, then the internal insulation as been breached. When the shorted windings heat up, resistance increases, and the current drops to the point where output is inadequate. Cooling the coil can restore some current for a time, but 99.9% of all unrebuilt Ford coils will fail sooner or later. We have a box full of them that check OK, only to fail as soon as they are installed.

Note to Alan: I have met your wife, and she must have iron clad patience!

ford38v8    -- 05-29-2011 @ 2:53 PM
  Bob, All V8er wives have patience. They are also as smart as wives come. V8er wives know that in order to have the house the way they want it and to keep it that way, they must have a husband who is willing to spend most of his time in the garage. She beckons him to the inner sanctum only at such times as when the garbage can becomes full, when the lightbulb in the hallway burns out, or when it's time to carve the turkey.

Alan

supereal    -- 05-29-2011 @ 3:41 PM
  Oh, Master Alan, I've only been married for 56 years (to the same woman) and it took me longer than you to understand that they tolerate our old car addiction, both to keep us from being under foot, and to demand equal compensation when yet another box arrives from an old car vendor!

wrosenkrans    -- 05-29-2011 @ 4:25 PM
  My wife and I are going on 38 years, and I'm incredibly fortunate - it was her that pressed to add the '42 to our family...

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

TomO    -- 05-29-2011 @ 6:24 PM
  Wayne, Supereal gave you the correct procedure.

I just repaired a 47 ford that had the same symptoms. It was driven 50 miles, shut off and would not start. Checked the spark, no spark, checked the voltage to the coil, no voltage, checked the voltage at the ignition switch, no voltage. Flicked the switch several times and the had voltage and car started.

I pulled the ignition switch and disassembled it. The coil contact was burned and grooved so that the brush would not make contact always. I replace the switch plate and no the car starts every time.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-30-2011 @ 11:03 AM
  Super,,,, if the ice pack gets it to have spark and then start, then you know for sure the coil is defective. just wanted to point that out, a easy test for a defective coil, it just might work,got me home a few times on a few different cars, replaced the coil once home,
my cents 37 RAGTOPMAN,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 5-30-11 @ 11:08 AM

supereal    -- 05-30-2011 @ 4:09 PM
  Can't quarrel with that. As mentioned, if the ice pack restores the spark, it indicates that the insulation in the coil has been compromised, and the coil must be reeplaced or rebuilt. We used to put an ice pack on the starter solenoid of some GM cars years ago to get the starter to work when the underhood temp caused it to be too weak to pull the drive.

wrosenkrans    -- 05-31-2011 @ 7:14 PM
  Returned from DC last night and started diagnosing the ignition system. Yep, bad coil. Primary OK, but not secondary. Wired up a Model A 6v coil for the time being until the rebuilt one arrives. Now she's back to running like a sewing machine.

I just put a new muffler on her and am amazed at how quiet she is.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3152