Topic: carb help

pbc64    -- 05-28-2011 @ 1:28 PM
  h*llo need help have a 41 ford with a 59ab and a 8ba carb im getting gas in the oil i rebuilt the fuel pump i pulled the top of the carb off and filled the bowl flush to the top within a couple of minutes noticed the fuel level going down i took it off the car and on the bench did the same the fuel is going through the jets and running through both discharge nozzles right down the barrels ? paul

Stroker    -- 05-28-2011 @ 3:10 PM
  Sounds like a ruptured diaphragm in the power (economizer) valve.

pbc64    -- 05-28-2011 @ 3:32 PM
  h*llo i have not ruled that out but would that cause fuel leaking through discharge nozzles? i have extra valves will change it paul

ford38v8    -- 05-28-2011 @ 4:16 PM
  Paul, if fuel is leaking through the nozzles, you may have lost your check valve from the accelerator pump.

Alan

Stroker    -- 05-28-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  After looking at my schematic, I believe Alan is right. It could just be some crud around
the check ball, as unless you had it apart, the ball should be there.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-28-2011 @ 4:48 PM

I Would check the needle and seat, to make sure they are shutting the fuel off,when the float level is to specs, also check to see that the float is ok.
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 05-28-2011 @ 4:50 PM
  Paul, you should not fill the bowl any higher than 11/16. I check the carb for leaks by filling to the top of the recess for the power valve. Filling to the top of the bowl, will cause the symptoms you describe.

Your power valve could be leaking or your float set too high or the accelerator pump ball could have dirt under it or the pump discharge needle may not be seating.

Tom

pbc64    -- 05-28-2011 @ 5:14 PM
  h*llo thanks everyone i will check all when checking for a leak on the bench i noticed more fuel leaking on the acelerator pump side at the bottom i dont have the carb with me at the moment it will be a day or so before i let you know how about metering valves not seating ? paul

ford38v8    -- 05-28-2011 @ 6:53 PM
  Paul, TomO is correct, as usual. While we all did have a clue, Tom engaged his brain to give you the full story.

Your last question, metering valves, I assume you mean the idle screws. These are never seated, they are set to provide adequate fuel while idling and are vacuum primed, meaning that they stop dribbling when the engine stops.

Alan

pbc64    -- 05-29-2011 @ 5:48 AM
  ford 38v8 yes your right i remember they screw in lightly and hang in place when i find the problem i will let you know paul

supereal    -- 05-29-2011 @ 8:24 AM
  If you have trouble with the float needle failing to seat, try a Grose valve, sold by most vendors. It has a ball instead of a needle, and can withstand too much pressure or crud under the needle, usually the cause of overflow and leakage inside or out of the carb.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-29-11 @ 8:25 AM

pbc64    -- 05-29-2011 @ 11:53 AM
  thank you supereal i will working on it tomorrow im leaning more to just the adjustment on the float if my float set to high the excess fuel needs to go some where thats why its going through my jets and dripping through the idle nozzles ? paul

pbc64    -- 05-30-2011 @ 1:36 PM
  h*llo I changed the power valve and had to set the float the float was to high using the gauge that is supplied in the kits i set it to spec my fuel suppy in the bowl fills just under the accelerator pump inlet i beieve if im right thats normal? have not noticed any fuel dripping out of nozzles after motor is shut down which was causing fuel in oil paul

supereal    -- 05-30-2011 @ 4:04 PM
  Here is a "fail safe" gauge for setting the float level.

ford38v8    -- 05-30-2011 @ 9:48 PM
  Paul, Thank you for getting back to us. It is pleasant to know that at least some of our advice is heeded with good results. Too many times the questioner is not really ready to listen to our advice.

Alan

pbc64    -- 05-31-2011 @ 6:28 AM
  ford 38v8 your welcome and thank you and everyone who gave there advice i never really thought it was the float but i was on the other hand leaning towards it next time i hear somebody they are getting fuel in oil have them double check that float thanks again paul

supereal    -- 05-31-2011 @ 7:30 AM
  The usual source of gas in the oil is a leaking fuel pump diaphragm. The fuel runs down the breather tube from the lever slot. Gas can't run out of the carb unless the engine is running, and it usually takes more than a high float to do that. Many non resistant carbs leak. Stray pieces can make their way into the carb and jam the float needle. I'd pull the pump and see if there is gas in the lever area. In any case, gas in the oil is serious, and can lead to bearing failure. W

TomO    -- 05-31-2011 @ 8:45 AM
  Paul, your float is still set too high. The bottom of the inlet to the accelerator pump is 1 1/16" in the carburetor that I measured. The correct fuel level is 11/16".

The cardboard gauges are difficult to hold perpendicular the the gasket surface and if it leans your float level will be too high. Take the time to make Supereal's gauge. It fits around the float and reduces the chance of setting the float too high.

Tom

pbc64    -- 05-31-2011 @ 7:25 PM
  h*llo will double chech my settings this week and get back from the very beginning i had ruled out the fuel pump so to be safe i rebuilt anyway i will pull the top of pump off and check for fuel your right those gauges are not that great once i know i get the float exact i can make a proper gauge i still see no more gas in the oil so far i will get back latter this week paul

cboprxw    -- 06-03-2011 @ 8:07 AM
  my first time on. i also have a 1941, will a stromberg base fit the 59 carb. my throttle shaft leaks but the rest of the carb is ok. new base is $119. new carb is $299. thanks

TomO    -- 06-03-2011 @ 8:34 AM
  A Stromberg base will not fit the model 59 carb.

If you are leaking gas at the throttle shaft, you are also flooding due to the conditions described earlier in this post.

If your throttle shaft is leaking vacuum, it can be replaced. Vintage Speed sells replacements and rebuilds the carburetors.

http://www.vintagespeed.com/

Tom

carcrazy    -- 06-03-2011 @ 12:46 PM
  You can purchase a new oversize throttle shaft from some of the vendors (MAC'S sells them) for about $20. Use a reamer to enlarge the throttle shaft bores for the oversize shaft and you have an inexpensive repair.

pbc64    -- 07-03-2011 @ 10:21 PM
  just want to let everyone who advised me with my carb problem may 28 gas getting into the oil. my problem was float adjustment. since i adjusted it i have no gas in the oil. i will be making a gauge but my original setting with the paper gauge was perfect thanks again paul

TomO    -- 07-04-2011 @ 7:54 AM
  Thanks for updating us Paul. Enjoy driving your 41.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3147