Topic: 3M Woodgrain vinyl

bo8109b    -- 05-23-2011 @ 6:52 PM
  Has anyone succesfuly installed 3M wood grain vinyl sheet on a dash in the car and been happy with the result?

supereal    -- 05-24-2011 @ 6:20 AM
  I'm willing to believe that it can be done, but I've yet to see it.

trjford8    -- 05-24-2011 @ 8:12 AM
  I think you are talking about Di-Noc. I'm not sure how easy it would be to accomplish. I suspect by the time you buy the material and then have someone apply it, it might be easier to send out the dash, etc. to someone who can apply a real woodgrain. Also finding the correct woodgrain for your car might be difficult with a mass produced product.

rdt52flthd    -- 05-30-2011 @ 1:01 PM
  As a model maker for Ford for 37 years I applied acres of the 3M DiNoc to auto surfaces. As it comes from 3M it is not flexible enough to fit the tight contours of an instrument panel. Some help may come from soaking it in hot water or using a heat gun, good luck as most experts have difficulty. You may want to look at this link.
woodgraining.com/woodgraining.html. very instructive videos for collector quality graining techniques.

Stroker    -- 05-30-2011 @ 3:07 PM
  rdt52flthd:

You had my "dream job"! I'd love to hear about your FoMoCo modeling days. Please PM me, or just
email: at kalbach@wildbluepella.org. I spent some time building models/vacuum-forming tools for a company that made r/c model Nascar race cars. It was a fun interlude between "real jobs", but I enjoyed every minute of it. My childhood dream was to work in the design department of Ford. Given my age (71), had I realized this dream, I'm sure I would have been pretty stressed-out; given my love for vintage Ford designs, and the cars of the 60's-80's.

rdt52flthd    -- 06-01-2011 @ 7:45 AM
  Stroker, I replied by clicking the email in your reply but it came back to me with "address errors".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3119