Topic: Replacement High Tension Coil-to-Dist

swmddo    -- 05-23-2011 @ 1:45 PM
  Thanks to all who have helped me get my '48 coupe's engine ready to re-install. I am perplexed about the high tension cable from the coil to the distributor, via the spark-plug wire conduit. The previous owner had spliced two of them together, which did not seem like the best way to do it. The cable/wires that I can find are only 10-12" long, way too short to go from the coil to the distributor. Will I have to re-locate the coil to a different place, in order for the cable/wire to reach without having to find a 24" one?

Thanks

Steve

supereal    -- 05-23-2011 @ 3:32 PM
  The coil mounts at the front on the left side head., and doesn't require an extension. High tension leads can't be spliced, particularly when they are contained in the conduit. Most vendors can provide the wire, but the bracket for the coil is harder to find.

swmddo    -- 05-23-2011 @ 3:50 PM
  Thanks...I have an aftermarket coil, and it is mounted on the left side on the front head. Not sure why the previous owner thought he needed a longer lead. I will ensure that I use a single one, and adapt the placement of the coil to ensure it fits.

Steve

parrish    -- 05-28-2011 @ 7:54 AM
  Does the location of the coil near engine heat reduce the life of the coil. I felt my modern tube coil (mounted near the head) the other day and it was uncomfortably warm...

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-28-2011 @ 8:28 AM
  parrish
it might be on the way out,if getting to hot,
try a new one and see if the same,
I would insulate and run the engine and see if it still gets hot, do this tempory,so you can hook back up original,
leaving the ign on without the engine running will heat up the coil if points closed,this burns the points and destroys the coil,once overheated the life of it are reduced,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 05-28-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  It is true that engine heat is hard on coils. That is why so many coils failed. When Skip Haney rebuilds Ford coils, he uses modern insulation, rather than the waxed paper in the original coils. When you consider that secondary voltage exceeds 25K volts, it is easy to see why old Ford coils are almost always failed.

parrish    -- 05-28-2011 @ 7:27 PM
  Is there a length limit for the high tension due to resistance? If not, it seems a move farther from the engine would pronlong coil life...

ford38v8    -- 05-28-2011 @ 7:58 PM
  Parrish, The heat generated by the coil itself is by far the most heat it ever sees. Any location under the hood will produce much the same result. It's really the condition of the coil that is the important thing.

Alan

supereal    -- 05-29-2011 @ 12:45 PM
  If you are using non-metallic cable, the length of the high tension lead does make a difference, and should be kept to a minimum. It was used to try to eliminate spark noise in radios. A metallic core wire is preferred. We used to trap radio spark noise by putting a small knot in that cable. As said above, most of the heat in a coil comes from inside due to the resistance and reactance of the windings around the iron core.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3116