Topic: Flathead V8 to Model A

Johnnydidd    -- 05-23-2011 @ 7:31 AM
  Will any year Flathead V8 bolt up to a Model A Transmission? Just bought a Model A Doodle Bug and was wondering? Thanks John

Stroker    -- 05-23-2011 @ 8:17 AM
  The Model A transmission will not bolt up to any year flathead Ford V8. Any 32-48 full-size V8 trans will. The 1937-40 "small" 60 hp V8 will not. To avoid the hassle
of converting a side shift (column-shift) trans to a floor shift, your best bed would be to look for a 32-39 "top loader" floor shift.

This message was edited by Stroker on 5-23-11 @ 8:45 AM

ford38v8    -- 05-23-2011 @ 2:04 PM
  Johnny, just a word of caution here, Doodlebugs were made in many configurations, sometimes way too short to be roadworthy. They can be lots of fun, but can put you in the hospital or worse.

Alan

Stroker    -- 05-23-2011 @ 2:29 PM
  johnnydid: To add to Alan's caveat regarding the wheelbase. A lot of doodlebugs were fitted with
oversize rear tires and used to pull stuff around on farms, etc. Never attempt to pull anything with the chain/cable/hitch etc. at the center-line of the rear axle, as it is guaranteed to flip over on its' back and likely kill you. If you do stuff a V8 in her, and decide to pull something, build a proper drawbar and mount it well beneath the rear axle (like a tractor).

Johnnydidd    -- 05-23-2011 @ 3:21 PM
  I had a tractor flip on me one time, its pretty scary, from then on I made sure I hooked well below the center line. Thanks for all your concerns. I wont be pulling it just playing around. John

Stroker    -- 05-23-2011 @ 3:48 PM
  Johnnydidd:

Sounds like you are a "farm kid" like me, so my admonition wasn't necessary. Still, a lot of townies don't appreciate how quickly that "back-flip" can happen. I went on-line, and out in "Google-Land" there are actually Doodle Bug "support groups"..How cool is that? I know Alan and I are sounding a bit anal, but perhaps a simple roll cage would be a good idea if you are going to be "playing around"
with a flatmotor under the hood.

One of our local Shriner parade groups have a 28 Model A 4-door touring with a dramatically shortened
wheelbase. It's a hit with the kids, as it has individual rear brake controls, so it can spin on its' rear wheels with the fronts off the ground at will.

Johnnydidd    -- 05-24-2011 @ 6:49 AM
  Stroker, You guessed that right I am an old farm boy. I just wanted to put a flathead V8 for the fun of it. I love the sound and show off the engine. I have one that I am rebuilding stock. Only problem in changing the transmission it has a two speed transfer case on the side to slow it down. John

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-27-2011 @ 12:13 PM
  if you want to pull something it is better to pull in reverse, has a lower gear and you can see what you are doing, and the MODEL A will do just fine.forget the V8.
it might look good and be something different but not worth the effort. FUNK made adapter kits for putting V8 in the 8N,9N,2N tractors and even later on,
my 3 cents worth, 37 RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 05-27-2011 @ 2:59 PM
  Well Leon, a Model A might be "just fine", but if you will have to admit that a V8 sounds a lot
better.

Johnnydidd:

a 32-48 truck 4-speed will bolt-up to any year flathead V8, and have a "grandma" low gear that might be close to what your present transfer case delivers. The truck 4-speeds shouldn't be hard to find, given that most owners of 3/4 ton and "tonners" have swapped them out for 3-speeds so they can cruise the "superslabs". Also, 4.11, 4.44, and 4.56:1 rear axle gearsets are out there in Ebay Land, for the same reason stated above. Just remember though, a Model A rear axle is different than the later V8 rears in that it does not have a "straddle-mount" pinion, and has only 3 spider gears vs the 4 in the later V8 axle. (I believe the change was in 33 or 34). I'd say GO FOR IT!

Johnnydidd    -- 05-28-2011 @ 8:59 AM
  Thanks guys for your comments, Stroker, I think I will find a Truck transmission as you suggest, I would rather have Flathead V8 than the 4 banger. My nephew wants my 4 Bangsr. I have got a late Flathead V8 which I am building now for 8N ford conversion. Thanks John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3114