Topic: South Wind heater

thirtysixford    -- 05-22-2011 @ 9:05 PM
  I have a Stewart Warner Southwind gas heater.

I found the installation and operating instructions online, but what I need is a service/repair manual that has exploded pictures, part numbers or such and info on how to troubleshoot.

Anyone still making parts for these?

Mike

joe b    -- 05-23-2011 @ 6:17 AM
  You might try Larry Caplan in Northridge, Ca. He has lots of heater stuff,tools and can repair. lccaplan@aol.com

thirtysixford    -- 05-23-2011 @ 2:38 PM
  Thanks Joe, but the address seems to be dead.

I see a service manual on ebay that someone scanned, wants $25 for it plus $5 shipping. $30 seems a little high for what is probably a copyrighted manual he most likely doesn't own the rights to.

Mike

joe b    -- 05-23-2011 @ 3:23 PM
  Here is Larrys phone number from his business card. 818 366 9178

Stroker    -- 05-23-2011 @ 3:29 PM
  thirtysixford:

I also have a Southwind that came out of my 38. It served the family well for the first 50 years, although given its' location in the center of the firewall in order to clear the battery box,and radio chassis; I had to re-start it whenever I shifted in to second gear, as the shift lever would push the start switch in. I learned to "skip-shift" in the wintertime!

I'd love to hear what you find out, as I would like to re-install it at some point, but I'm sure
the heater and fuel metering system needs a thorough going-through before I try that.

We share a common dilemma, in that the OEM exhaust heater is not being reproduced, and probably shouldn't be anyway. Hot water heaters work, but certainly are not "period correct". I live in the upper Midwest, so unless I want to limit driving to a few months a year, a heater is quite useful.

If you find any "support information", you can PM me, or simply email me at kalbach@wildbluepella.org. Thanks, Dan

thirtysixford    -- 05-23-2011 @ 4:15 PM
  Just spoke with Larry, he only deals with original equipment heaters and the Southwind is not one of them. He wished me luck. Back to square one.

If all else fails I'll buy the service manual on Ebay and share it with the group.

Dolman    -- 05-23-2011 @ 4:52 PM
  C'mon Stroker. A parka, Sorrels, down mittens and an ice scr*per for the inside of the windshield and you're good to go! Reminds me of a drive I made from Seattle to Anchorage years ago in January 1965 in a '63 Chrysler. Lousy heater. When the temps got down to minus 30 and lower going west from Ft. Nelson, I had to stuff a boot sock in the passenger side defroster vent to keep an 8" wide area clear on the driver's side of the windshield. Sort of like driving a buttoned up tank. When I got to Anchorage, I changed the 165 degree thermostat to a 185 but it didn't help much.

Now that I am older, I'm considering a heater for my '34 pickup but it looks like there is only room for a passenger or a heater, not both.

Stroker    -- 05-23-2011 @ 7:25 PM
  Dolman: Back in the early 70's, I was driving a very rusty 61 VW Beetle. Of course the rocker
sills were rotted out, so the hot-air bleed from the motor was being vented to the outdoors.
I would drive it with an ice scra(censored)per in my left mittened paw, so I could shift with my right paw, whilst holding the steering wheel steady with my knee. At the time, I sported a full
beard. I had a date in Des Moines one cold -20 degree night, which was a 70 mile trek. I found that if I covered my nose with the left paw, it would cut down upon the amount of frost buildup on
the inside of the windshield.

When I got to the nice ladies home, she remarked upon meeting me at the front door: "And just who in the Hell are you; Admiral Bird?" Her vestibule mirror revealed that I had ice sickles hanging from my mustache. At least she had a sense of humor.

Dolman    -- 05-24-2011 @ 11:39 AM
  Another cold weather story:
On the morning of January 13 this year on a trip from Kenai to Florida, I stepped out of a motel in Watson Lake, Yukon and was slapped by 63 below with no wind. I had plugged in the block heater for the truck (09 GMC 3/4))so it started just fine. But when I put it in reverse after a 20 minute warm up, it was sluggish in responding. The power steering took all of the power I could muster. Drove a few blocks to a restaurant for breakfast and left the truck running. About 25 miles east of Watson Lake I noticed that the engine temperature had risen to about 245 degrees and the oil pressure was low. Drove slowly back to Watson Lake and put the truck in a shop there. Opened the hood and found that the dipstick had blown out and of course there was oil all over that side of the engine and firewall. Diagnosis:
Dexcool coolant turns to gel below -34 and won't circulate in the radiator. Crankcase vent had also frozen shut. It took 4 hours for a Herman Nelson heater to warm the truck enough to clear the vent. Remedy: The mechanic installed what he called a North Dakota thermostat which is a big piece of cardboard wired to the grill. It worked well and I left in on until I saw temperatures above -30 which happened in southern Wisconsin if I remember correctly.

wmsteed    -- 05-25-2011 @ 8:37 AM
  In the dark dim past, the automobiles were not quite up to the level they are now, people had to rely on themselves in lieu of Triple A and jumper cables.
It was very common for the average driver to carry a "winter front", to cover the grille, in the car, especially if the car was driven on rural roads in the dead of winter.
I still have a winter front for my '36 Ford which I have owned since 1952.
On the subject of South Wind heaters;
I know that hot water heaters are not correct for Fords prior to '39, however, there were lots of after-market hot water heaters that were sold by Western Auto, Sears and Montgumery Wards. The plumbing into the carb seemed to always cause problems with the South Winds..
My '36 has a '39 Ford heater in it which was there when I bought the car. Since the car is native to Eastern Idaho, I wonder what they did for heat during the three year prior to Ford coming out with the '39 heater.? I guess the driver and passenger just bundled up. I know that's what we did in my dads '34 Ford prior to WWII.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Dolman    -- 05-25-2011 @ 10:23 AM
  We were a lot tougher then. I grew up in the North Central Cascades in Washington and remember my dad bringing the battery from his '33 Plymouth coupe into the house every night during the winter. How he avoided blowing up the car is a mystery because when it was down around minus 20 he would wad up newspapers and burn them on the intake manifold and under the oil pan. Not being anywhere near as lucky as the old man was, I don't think I would want a gas fired heater.

My first car was a Model A in which I installed a Campbells Soup can heater in the firewall. It wasn't my idea but mine hadn't been "upgraded" when I bought it for $65.00.

"Winter Front" is a much better and diplomatic name for the accessory.

G Tosel    -- 05-25-2011 @ 8:13 PM
  There is an ad in Hemmings Motor News indicating that Southwind heaters are available and this business is always looking for NOS parts. Located on Ontario Canada. I will not include information, since I know nothing about this company and would ask anyone interested to contact them from the Hemmings ad.

42wagon    -- 05-26-2011 @ 3:26 AM
  Back in the days when I was young and stupid (around 1960) my regular transportation was a Model A roadster with side curtains and a hot air (sort of) heater. I drove that all winter in Troy NY and never complained about being cold. Who would listen?

Anyway, what do you think the robe rail behind the front seat was for? Most of the cars of the era still carried a heavy blanket for the back seat passenger to put over their legs.

Them were the days!

As for the Southwind heater, I have one in the garage and somehow could never reconcile with having a gasoline fire burning inside the car. I have a hot water heater in my car.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-26-2011 @ 11:46 AM
  42wagon
in defense of the STEWART WARNER heater.
if you heat your house with PROPANE GAS, NATURAL GAS, or FUEL OIL.
it operates on the same or similar system with fuel burning, to create heat,
I never heard of a problem with this heater with fires in a car, not unless broken lines or poor maintence was the cause,
if you have one in use,the idea is to use it so the gas does not go stale, this was the main reason that lead to problems,
they made these heaters for airplanes,as well as other uses, like boats etc,
you have to remember a broken heater hose will scald you also,
Please remember the amount of fuel burning in the metal chamber is very little,[ like a minute jet in a carb ] and if you push the button in and the heater shuts off.,
this is my 3 cents 37 RAGTOPMAN
what about a sticking needle and seat on the carb,overflowing onto the hot engine and ignition wire causing fires, this is also can happen at any time,and way more dangerous,then the heater.

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 5-26-11 @ 11:48 AM

keith oh    -- 05-26-2011 @ 12:26 PM
  I agree completely with Ragtopman. I am neerly 80 years old and have never seen or heard of a fire caused by A southwind heater. My father was a Ford dealer in the 30s and 40s, installed many of them, had many used car trade in cars with southwinds which had been used for many many miles and never had or heard of a fire caused by them. I have had one in my 35 since 1959 and no problem accept the little igniter burned out one time. For parts I suggest at the next swap meet you will see at least one old beat up one you can buy for parts, take it apart and see how it works. And by the way, they do a fine job heating and in a hurry.

thirtysixford    -- 05-31-2011 @ 3:02 PM
  I bought the South Wind Service Manual, I scanned it to a PDF file. It's too large to post (60MB).

If you want a copy, PM me and send a blank DVD and prepaid postage.

Mike

thirtysixford    -- 06-06-2011 @ 6:25 AM
  37RAGTOPMAN

I sent a reply to your PM, but have not heard back.... maybe you have PM disabled in your settings.

Send me your address and I'll send you the disk.... no need for the blank disk or postage.

mikeb12@cox.net

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3112