Topic: 42 Ford

elcaminojgf    -- 11-14-2009 @ 7:13 PM
  Hi Everyone
I need some information, or pointed in the right direction. I am getting ready to start restoring my Grandfathers 1942 Super Deluxe Fordor Sedan,serial no.186916970. My Grandfather bought the car new on 7/23/43. I have the original bill of sale, ration papers,serial #s of the tires. I have reason to believe this was a so called black out car. All the trim is on the car, but only three pieces are chrome (stainless) the rest looks like it was zinc coated or painted. The car was garage (barn) kept all its life and not driven since the mid 50s. My Father drove the car as a teenager but does not remember what the trim looked like. Information needed build date and is it worth restoring as a black out car. Thanks

deluxe40    -- 11-14-2009 @ 7:36 PM
  '42 serial numbers fall in the following range:

18-6,769,036 to 18-6,925,898

Your car is near the end of the range, so it was likely a black-out model.
I don't believe there is anything else in the serial number to provide a
clue.

See: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm

CharlieStephens    -- 11-14-2009 @ 8:49 PM
  Restore it as a black out model. It will cost less and be a real conversation piece.

Charlie Stephens

42wagon    -- 11-15-2009 @ 4:27 AM
  You should get a copy of the 41-48 Ford book available from the Early Ford V8 Club on the home page of this site.

Without going into detail the last cars produced for the civilian market were in early February 1942.

You should read what the book has to say about blackout Fords. Those who wrote the book had not been able to document any blackout Fords being produced. Mine is a December car and I have seen a January car. Neither of these were blackout cars.

If you have one it would be a really rare vehicle and worthy of preservation as is.

42ford    -- 11-15-2009 @ 9:20 AM
  Hi
I have 2 42s
ser # 186780276 and
ser # 186793843
neither are blackout.
Ken Brown told me that he had never seen a blackout var and did not think any were made.
Ford did make both V-8 and 6 for the Army.Their model numbers were 2GA-73 and 21A-73. Those numbers are for the US govt contract vehicles only. You will note that neither has a suffix. The picture that I have of the Govt vehicle does not show a blackout car. Now with all that , I have 1 piece of grill surround that is not chromed and is black. At that time SS was in short supply and Ford used SS and or zink castings for the grill parts.
Your car is one of the last civilian cars built and was probably placed in a pool of cars to be sold by the wartime ration board.

lly

djdjdjdj    -- 11-24-2009 @ 6:02 PM
  As I wasn't born yet, I was told that our neighbor was able to buy a 42 Chevy because he was a rural mailman. What did your grandfather do that put him in line for a car? It would be an interesting addition to the cars history.
-
Two blocks from my house, Miriam Wiese drove a 42 tudor into the late 60's. It had been converted into a 46 (according to best friends father) after the war by changing the trim. He said that it had black grille trim and headlight bezels. Not that this proves anything.

42wagon    -- 11-25-2009 @ 3:27 AM
  dj
In 42 Ford offered three models to the general public. These were Special, Deluxe, and Super Deluxe. The Special was offered as a Tudor, a Fordor, and a three passenger Coupe. I believe the special had a painted grille surround, probably painted headlight trim as well.
Ted

42ford    -- 11-25-2009 @ 1:50 PM
  The parts book I have that is dated 1946 list painted surrounds for deluxe and special models, but the grill has only zink and chrome listed.
Using that info all super deluxe had chrome or zink plated grills
The US Govt cars had blackout parking and tail lights. These were small lights that were mounted on top of the fenders. They has small slits for the light to shine

ford38v8    -- 11-25-2009 @ 4:46 PM
  42ford, without documentation to this, I'll offer my opinion regarding the
1946 parts book you cite: As no further blackout cars would be required
after the war, there would be no reason to publish what was not going to
be available as replacement parts. I also believe that the only parts books
published before and during the war would have been for military use.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 11-25-09 @ 4:47 PM

42wagon    -- 11-26-2009 @ 5:48 AM
  Alan etal
One should read carefully page 1-8 of the 41-48 Ford book regarding blackout cars also the paragraph starting on the bottom of page 1-7 regarding zinc trim. What the book says is that although zinc trim appears in the parts list Ford apparently never produced any. The list was produced in anticipation of what might happen if car production continued through 42.

As for blackout Fords the book says that none were ever produced. Probably because Ford used very little chrome plating in the first place.

I have an original 42 body parts book and it also has listings for zinc trim. It should be kept in mind that the parts books were produced so that dealers could order replacement parts and do not necessarily reflect what was happening on the production lines especially when it came to trim.

What I believe is confusing people is the fact that 42 super deluxes had a considerable amount of stainless steel trim. After seeing one and then seeing a 42 Special, with practically no bright trim, people are assuming that the special is a blackout Ford.
Ted

42ford    -- 11-26-2009 @ 7:33 AM
  Well Said
As for documentation, well I know no greater authority on the 42 Ford than Ken Brown. He wrote the part of the 41 48 book that deals with 42 Fords. The book really needs to be read before making any decisions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=311