Topic: 46 Front Shocks

Steves46    -- 05-22-2011 @ 6:22 AM
  Since my front end gets a bit bouncy when I hit any bumps or uneven pavement, I think my original lever shocks needs to be replaced which I see is very expensive! I see that Chassis Engineering sells tube shock replacements at a considerably lower cost. My primary concerns is that my front spring is a Posies reverse eye and I am not sure how the tube shocks will behave. By-the-way, my rear lever shocks are ok so would there be any potential problems running with 2 types of shocks? Thanks.

Stroker    -- 05-22-2011 @ 6:36 AM
  I have run tubes on the back, and levers on the front of my 38 for several years without any issues. I have a NOS set of rear levers I'm planning on installing just to be a little more "correct". As for the reverse eye spring, you will want to be sure that the shock doesn't bottom before the axle hits the rubber stop. Might have to use a different spec. shock to allow for your lowered ride height.

trjford8    -- 05-22-2011 @ 9:28 AM
  I have used the Chassis Engineering front shock kit on several cars. The lower mount of the kit pivots off the shackle supplied by CE. You will have to take your spring off to replace the shackles. It's a little bit of a challenge with the reverse leaf because you can't use a spring spreader. I usually remove the spring by clamping it and then loosen the center bolt and take the spring apart. I can then remove the main leaf and reassemble the main leaf on the new shackles. I get a new longer center bolt and then put the spring back together the same way I took it apart. I then cut off the excess on the center bolt.
You will see that CE put the lower shock mount to the out side of the shackle. In some situations that does cut down on turning radius. I sometimes move the mount pin towards the inside. It changes the angle of the shock slightly, but they work fine.
Another option for you is to drill the axle and bolt a shock mount pin in the axle. This how Ford mounted the lower part of the tube shocks in '48. You can just buy the CE upper mounts and utilize the axle for you lower mounting point. Once you have the mounting points you can then determine what shock you will need for the car. Measure center to center of the mount points with the weight on the front end. Then take that measurement(ride height) to your local Napa Auto Parts store. Most auto parts books have a section that gives the compressed and extended lengths. As an example, if your measurement is 12 inches(ride height) you should get a shock that has a compressed length of about 9 inches and an extended length of abour 14 inches.

joe b    -- 05-22-2011 @ 2:13 PM
  You might want to check with Apple Hydraulics in New York to see about having your shocks rebuilt. I have used them and find them to be reasonable. Just a thought.
AppleHydraulics.com

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3106