Topic: Engine Colors

johnmyron    -- 05-20-2011 @ 1:20 PM
  Finishing up engine on my 53 Sunliner as part of a full frame off resto. As there is no EFV8 club resto manual on this vintage, need some info re engine paint colors. I have the correct orange color for the block, heads, intake, pan. Did they paint the water pump pulleys, crank pulley, etc, black, or was everything orange?

Stroker    -- 05-20-2011 @ 4:11 PM
  Johnmyron:

I'm not positive about the crankshaft pulley, but I am certain that the water pump pulleys would have been painted engine color. I also suspect that the crankshaft pulley was also, based upon the assembly procedure. All the engine capscrews that hold the head and manifold would also be painted engine color.

51f1    -- 05-20-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  For what it's worth, I wrote down years ago that the crankshaft pulley was black and the water pump pulleys were engine color.

Richard

proxie35    -- 05-21-2011 @ 3:29 PM
  From a factory assembly line picture, The crank pully is black, water pump pullys engine color.These are all Black [Oil filler tube & cap, Air breather, Oil filter cannister, generator & bracket, thermostat housings, breather tube]. Hope this helps. Sherrel

This message was edited by proxie35 on 5-21-11 @ 3:52 PM

johnmyron    -- 05-22-2011 @ 11:13 AM
  Thanks-most helpful. However, are you sure the water necks which are the thermostat housings, are painted black instead of engine color?
Thanks again,
John Wells

proxie35    -- 05-22-2011 @ 12:34 PM
  Yes John, I'm very positive about this. Cecil Goff has
said that it "may" be possible that some plant put the
housing on before the engine was painted. But, I've never had anyone produce an original housing that was
engine color. Where people get confused, is they see Ford ad's that show the housings engine color. These
Ads are artist paintings. The Thermostat Housing were
not really painted. They were dipped in a Chemical
(I call black oxide) & the bolts that fasten them on are Cad. plated. I can show you many factory pictures
that show the housings on the engine. Sherrel

johnmyron    -- 05-22-2011 @ 3:37 PM
  Wow-I am impressed. Black it is, and thank you so much

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3095