Topic: Electronic IGNITION FOR 48 FORD

Steve's 48 Ford    -- 11-14-2009 @ 4:20 PM
  WHO MAKES A GOOD ELECTRONIC IGINTION for my 48 Ford with a 6 volt system? Thanks

ford38v8    -- 11-14-2009 @ 5:00 PM
  Steve, this subject has been discussed on our forum many times, and the
consensus of opinion is that electronic ignitions are better suited for
computer controlled vehicles having fuel injection. In addition, the Ford
dual point ignition is acknowledged to be the finest of all mechanical
systems ever manufactured. You can have your stock ignition rebuilt to
last you in excess of 10K miles for a fraction of the cost of an electronic
ignition that may give you problems from day one.

Alan

37 Coupe    -- 11-15-2009 @ 7:23 AM
  I always remember what a wellknown vendor said to me a few years ago about electronic ignitions as I was thinking of purchasing one from him. Told me it may or may not run great for awhile,it may quit on you without notice due to a spike,it could cost you another $250-$350 to get going again but it will never let you know when it is going out. The properly setup Ford distributor(my case the 37-41) will give you years of troublefree service and most time let you know ahead of time it is getting sick. Now at this time he was just talking and selling Mallorys and they were Chinese so mayby better ones now. I was always thinking the Remound that used to advertize in V-8 Times but think they quit? I had a guy in Virginia named John Shelor build me a good original and a spare. Jon wrote several articles in V-8 Times few years back on distributors and coils,think he is a retired electrical engineer. His speciality is his own design point plate,he uses a couple more modern and accesible points from Ford mayby a Y block set and set 4cylinder Pinto points for back. Sets everything up on scope, Great workmanship and knowledge and very reasonable.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=309