Topic: Newbee Saratoga question

jim5618    -- 05-17-2011 @ 6:17 AM
  I am looking at the meet in saratoga. I am not looking to enter my car to be judged as it is nothing special, still needs a lot of work. If I just want to park it with where members can see it and I can socialize..... what to I register for? If I go I will drive it up from Massachusetts, so I would like to get in on any touring activities. I have never been to one of these so how does it work for those without a "show car".

Lou46    -- 05-17-2011 @ 6:31 AM
  Jim5618, Several thoughts for you. First, if you have your car concourse judged you will find out what will be needed in order to earn higher scores and actually get feedback on items that may need attention. Or, enter your car in Touring or Touring A and you'll be on the "field" and not point judged. I went through the same thought process as you are at my first meet in Dearborn, Michigan. I ended up having it judged and was very pleasantly surprised with the results. Either way, you'll meet some great people who share the same addiction to Early V8 Fords. LouB.

TomO    -- 05-17-2011 @ 7:30 AM
  I like to think that any car brought to a National Meet is there for the enjoyment of the owner and other members that attend.

A car does not have to be a "Trailer Queen" in order to be point judged on the Concourse. It should have all of the correct equipment for the year that it was manufactured in, be safe to drive and in good overall condition.

Touring Class is for owners that have made some changes to their cars to make them more comfortable for touring. Trophies are awarded by counting popular votes for each car in the different classes. Allowable changes are listed in the Roster.

Display Class is for owners that do not want to compete for a trophy.

All registered cars can take part in the tours and all registered owners can take part in all of the activities.

Come to the meet with the idea that you are going to have fun, enjoy your car and the other cars at the meet, meet new friends and you will have a good time.

Tom

jim5618    -- 05-17-2011 @ 8:41 AM
  I guess I am thinking wrong on the judging. I was thinking you had to have a car that was pretty much done and looked pretty. For example, for what ever reason, my car has a motor that is half the original green and half black (I think it was over spray from someone painting the hood in the 60's). The paint is OK but not original and so on. I would love to get a "punch list" of all the parts that need to be corrected though.

alanwoodieman    -- 05-17-2011 @ 9:03 AM
  you don't say what year your car is. If there is a V8 club book on that year-stop wasting time-get it. The book IS the place to start. Enter touring class and go look at other cars of your same vintage, ask questions, ask advice from other V8 owners, take pictures, plenty of them, of cars on the show field, In over 40 years I have yet to meet a V8'er who will not try to help. Most of all, have fun!!
My motto is "Bugs on the grill" drive them as Henry wanted them driven!!

nelsb01    -- 05-17-2011 @ 9:48 AM
  I think that one part of your question was over looked -- that of registering. Please register for the meet. It does many things -- allows you into seminars, meetings, free get-togethers, and it also helps the sponsoring group pay for the supplies that are needed to put on one of these events.
When you look at the registration form, there will be other events that you may want to partake in and those fees will be listed. If you have not yet seen the form, it can be downloaded from the home page topics on the left column.
See you there -- this will be my 37th National Meet.

trjford8    -- 05-17-2011 @ 10:14 AM
  Jim, TomO said it best, just go and have fun. Get the registration forms and go through them to see what you would like to do at the meet. You can be as active as you want at the meet. If you don't want your car judged just put it in display class and spend your time looking at cars like yours. You might even want to sign up to be a novice judge in a class that would have cars like yours. You will learn a lot about your own car. Once you attend a national meet you will definitely attend others. It all comes down to Ford guys(and girls) enjoying old Ford V-8s at the meet.

jim5618    -- 05-17-2011 @ 12:02 PM
  Alan,
It is a 1932 Ford Tudor standard (4 banger). I have several threads in the 1932 section including some photos. I do have the 1932 books but I have been surprised on items that I never suspected were not original. I will definately register, and did pull down all the information. Just didn't want to end up in the wrong place or sign up incorrectly {"what is that barnfind doing in with all the trailer cars"}. I think I will do the display and just learn what the meets are all about.

35ford    -- 05-17-2011 @ 12:17 PM
  Jim, 5618 I am going to Saratoga, N.Y. meet and live in Ma. Where in Ma. are you located?

jim5618    -- 05-17-2011 @ 12:37 PM
  Long story. My car lives in Mass in northern Berkshire county. I live in Maryland. The car was owned by my Uncle who lived in Mill River. He had it for 50 years. I bought it from my cousin after my Uncle passed away. It was not a planned transaction, I bought it to keep it in the family. Since my father lives in Berkshire county, and has a nice big garage, we moved the car there. Once I get it running right and titled and registered, I will move it to Maryland, but probably not till the end of the summer.

JM    -- 05-17-2011 @ 2:05 PM
  Jim, I also live in MD and plan to be at Saratoga. I think I have seen some pictures of your car on Fordbarn. I would love to see your car there and I'm sure 99% (maybe 100% ) of the other V8er's there would also enjoy seeing it. In fact I am more interested in seeing a car like yours than I am seeing a high point trailer queen. I love to see those survivors. I would also suggest entering it in a class where those knowledgeable about '32's can tell you what is as built by Henry and what is not. IMO '32's are awesome in any shape, form, or condition. I think you will have a great time there. See you in Saratoga! John

JM

This message was edited by JM on 5-17-11 @ 2:07 PM

35ford    -- 05-17-2011 @ 6:05 PM
  Jim , I will be traveling out Route #2 to No. Adams. Are you anywhere near there?

jim5618    -- 05-17-2011 @ 8:08 PM
  You taking an old car down the Mohawk trail? That can be fun. Yes that is the area I am about 15 minutes from Williams College. Since my Dad has had issues with scr*ppers stealing stuff I don't post the exact town where the car is. Assuming I can get the title work through and the gas tank back on we could probably team up. Not sure how many days I can go for though. Having to travel from Maryland to MAss to work on the car is a pain.

ford38v8    -- 05-17-2011 @ 8:33 PM
  Jim, when you get there is soon enough to decide on what class to enter your car in. You can even change your class by going back to the judging desk at Registration, but don't wait until the day of the Concourse to do so. You'll get good advice on what class to enter by the attendees present. A '32 never shown before? Makes me sorry I can't make it to the Eastern Meet this year.

Alan

jim5618    -- 05-17-2011 @ 9:12 PM
  Alan, never shown is an understatement. My uncle lived in a small town and I bet only a couple of people knew he had the car. He owned it for 50 years and put 5,000 miles on the car. it sat in drivable condition in his garage since the late 70's. I saw him drive it twice and we were very close. I think the poor car deserves lots of fresh air....LOL

35ford    -- 05-18-2011 @ 6:30 AM
  Jim, I have driven my 32 over Route 2 a couple of times. Good ride. Send me a pm if you desire.

jim5618    -- 05-18-2011 @ 7:17 AM
  Says you have disabled PM. You can email me at jroddacpa@gmail.com

Model B    -- 05-19-2011 @ 3:26 PM
  Hi Jim, I am looking forward to seeing your '32 "B". I will taking my '32 Standard Coupe to Saratoga Springs also. I'm thinking that you'll have such a good time that you will want to attend another National Meet right away! I can help you with that also.....I am the registration chairman for the Central National Meet being held in Auburn, IN this summer. Looking forward to meeting you in NY. Pat

Cecil/WV    -- 05-20-2011 @ 8:04 AM
  Jim, I joined the national club in May of 2003 and I drove my modern car to the national meet in Dearborn to see what it was all about. There was a fellow there with a barn find '32, similar to what yours sounds like and he won a Rouge award for his car and it inspired me to take my rusty '50 to 9 national meets since, driving it every time, including Utah, from WV and having won a Rouge award every time in at least one category. You can get a Rouge award in either or all of 3 categories, interior, exterior and drive train. It sounds like yours is a good candidate for such an award.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

Cecil/WV    -- 05-20-2011 @ 8:06 AM
  I will be attending the NY meet with my '40
pickup and will drive my '50 to the Auburn meet. Be careful, these meets are addictive.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

This message was edited by Cecil/WV on 5-20-11 @ 8:07 AM

jim5618    -- 05-26-2011 @ 5:55 AM
  Is the judging all three days? I am not sure I can get off that long. Is every one retired and that is why are these during the week?

nelsb01    -- 05-26-2011 @ 8:50 AM
  The judging starts at 9 am on Wednesday July 13........
and should be over by 3 pm that afternoon.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 5-26-11 @ 8:50 AM

jim5618    -- 05-26-2011 @ 11:50 AM
  So if I can only come on Monday, or Monday and Tuesday I should just do display right?

Model B    -- 05-27-2011 @ 5:05 PM
  Jim, That's correct. You have a few options; You can register for the meet and enter you car in Display or Touring (if you don't want your car point judged at this time). If you want to place your car on the concourse with the other cars, you'll need to pass an Operations/Safety Check. You don't even need to register for the meet if you just want to attend and enjoy the cars, talk with owners etc. I believe you'll have a more fun experience if you do register for the meet and perhaps attend the Welcome Party or the Tour. I'll never forget the first time I experienced being at a National V-8 Meet. I was coming home from a short vacation in North Carolina and I happened to stop by Charlotte, NC (Concord) in 2000 just to see what all the fuss was about (national meets that is). I was driving my modern car. The owners of the early V-8s couldn't have been nicer! What a great organization! I haven't missed since! Go and have fun....Pat

jim5618    -- 06-30-2011 @ 4:22 AM
  Still planning on attending although I might trailer up as I will not have had a lot of road test time

Any suggestion for someone at their first meet? I know to bring a chair and drinks...anything else? Do I need an information sheet display?

nelsb01    -- 06-30-2011 @ 8:17 AM
  No for the information sheet.
You can display your tools, owner's manual and make sure you have a fire extingisher.
When being judged, they will ask you to open doors (or ask permission to do so) and after judging, the Deputy for the class will review the findings with you. At that time, you can discuss any deductions that you do not think you are entitled too. BUT, you will need to have phyiscal proof that the vehicle was that way when it left the factory or dealership upon purchase.
May I suggest you have a relaxed attitude, and enjoy the process. It can be very educational experience for the owner, and should not be an event. Remember, your vehicle is being judged against itself, and not any of the others on the field.
Have a good time. Ask questions and have fun. We all have been there before and know what you are experiencing.

jim5618    -- 06-30-2011 @ 8:54 AM
  Thanks, I am just doing the "display". I will bring a fire extinquisher.... I suppose wheel chocks would be good idea. Anything NOT allowed? beverages, glass and so on.

nelsb01    -- 06-30-2011 @ 8:52 PM
  If doing display -- well, all you have to do is put the windshield card that you get at registration on the window, and then go enjoy the day.

See you there.

jim5618    -- 07-03-2011 @ 7:57 PM
  Well.... Seems like getting the car to Saratoga isn't happening. Can't get an exhaust in time and discovered my front shacks are a mess. As in the passenger side is missing the bolt to hold the arm on and the drivers side part that mounts to the frame is not there and judging by the holes in the frame pulled out of the frame???

On the good side did have it running today for a good minute. At least until the fumes from the holes in the muffler made me turn it off. blew mice nest half way across the garage too. Well...maybe Hershey....lol

TomO    -- 07-04-2011 @ 8:05 AM
  Too bad that you cannot get your car to Saratoga. I hope that you still intend to go and enjoy the meet. You will be able to look over some other 32's and other year Fords and Mercurys.

I am sure that you can hitch a ride in a 32 for the tour, so you can get an idea of what to expect when you get your car on the road.

Tom

CharlieStephens    -- 07-04-2011 @ 8:11 AM
  Jim,

A bit of trivia that you might already know. Ed Fitts, Box 834, Canton CT, 06019, makes the exhaust header pipe for the Model B (at least he used to) and the rest of the system is the same as the V8 and available from most venders (or at least used to be). He has current ad's in the Model A for sale section of fordbarn.com so you might PM him from there.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-4-11 @ 8:16 AM

JM    -- 07-04-2011 @ 11:33 AM
  D on't give up on getting your car to Saratoga so quickly. Try to get what you need to fix the exhaust as someone else suggested. A bolt for the one shock arm should be easy to find and fix. I'm not sure what is actually missing on the other side that attaches to the frame because the only thing that bolts to the frame is the body of the shock. What about trailering your car to the show? I think it would still be a good learning experience for you to have those who are knowledgeable on'32's look over your car and let you know what is not correct. This would give you a good laundry list of things to think about improving or changing.

JM

ford38v8    -- 07-04-2011 @ 12:04 PM
  Jim, I agree, many guys have brought their unfinished cars to meets for the express purpose of obtaining ideas and knowledge from the old timers present. You'd be surprised at the gathering of the clan around a project car to offer advise.

Alan

jim5618    -- 07-04-2011 @ 7:38 PM
  My issue is I am working on the d*mn thing long distance, flying or driving up to my Dad's to work on it. My biggest issue is the gas tank is not done yet and the seats are not in. I could cob up an exhaust if I needed to but I have not been able to drive it out of the garage yet, let alone take it to a show. Oh and the trailer we had that I can use I found out has rusted out so we need to get an newer one. I know not everyone is in the same boat but I turn 50 this year. I am going to try to go anyway.

FrankM-RG5    -- 07-05-2011 @ 6:51 AM
  I just saw this. Bill Wzorek will be there t talk about Houdaille shocks. He can fix you up with whatever you will need. This is a good place to be to talk with those that have gone through the process. Wednesday is the day to be there. That will be the concourse when all cars can be viewed whether they were trailered or not. Feel free to contact me @ fordsnharleys@yahoo.com with any more questions. Everyone here has given excellent advice. I do think you will need a little more driving time before doing any serious touring.

Frank Miller
2011 Eastern National Meet co-chairman

3w2    -- 07-05-2011 @ 9:52 AM
  Jim,

If there is any way at all you can get your car to the meet, short of driving it, which seems not to be practical at this time all things considered, you will get the kind of knowledgeable advice that could not be replicated with 100 posting on the internet.

The judging team for '32s for this meet is a very knowledgeable group (it includes several of the above hobbyists) and I'm sure that they would be more than happy to look over your car and consult with you whether or not is on the concours field or in the parking lot at any time during the entire period of the meet.

Dave Rehor

jim5618    -- 07-06-2011 @ 9:45 AM
  Dave,

Thanks for the encouragement but with me having limited access to the car it is just real slow going. I can only get there for Monday as I have ot work so it just isn't feasible to tow it up for one day, then tow it back to Massachusetts, then drive to Maryland. I need to at least have it moving on its own before I take it somewhere. Just not there yet. I am still hoping to make it up Monday without the car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3085