Topic: 48 ford

shogun1940    -- 05-15-2011 @ 5:37 PM
  well i bought this car last weekend , what can i learn from the vinn # 899a2231019 its pretty solid and i hope to have it on the road soon.

42wagon    -- 05-16-2011 @ 3:06 AM
  The number you have given is nothing more than a sequential engine serial number starting with 1 in 1932. It will tell you nothing about the car itself. However all is not lost. Starting perhaps as early as late in the 1947 model year Ford started adding a plate on the firewall that was stamped with a code indicating where the vehicle was assembled and some info about the vehicle. Not as complete as today's VIN numbers but at least a start.

47Fordor    -- 05-16-2011 @ 4:01 AM
  What are your plans for her? She looks good. I see somebody has made some minor cosmetic changes: ie removed some chrome & the fender guards and changed the rims... she isn't a failed attempt at a hotrod is she? Original drivetrain?

If she has original side windows, the "bugs" could tell you about when she rolled off the line. Bug is what they call a Ford oval etched into a corner of the glass. There are additional letters in the oval that tell the date the window was made. (A=1...L=12). There should be a single letter to the left, for the month, and there should be a "DH" on the other side (48). Since Ford wasn't stockpiling huge amounts of glass in warehouses, the bug date would be able to tell you manufacture date within a couple months.

I strongly recomend the clubs '41-'48 book to anybody who's fallen for one of these old beasts! It has a lot of the history plus all kinds of information about them, right down to the finish on the water pump bolts.

Chris

trjford8    -- 05-16-2011 @ 7:29 AM
  47fordor, just for info not all 47 cars had the hood ornament. The 6 cylinder deluxe models during this time did not have the ornament. It also looks like soemone primered the upper grille trim.

47Fordor    -- 05-16-2011 @ 3:52 PM
  A '47 without an identification emblem 6 or 8 on the nose of the hood would be a pretty rare bird, as it would have been between the elimination of the '46 design and the introduction of the new, '47-48 designs. As for the hood ornament, I can't say that they didn't exist, but I've never seen a '47 without the long hood ornament with the blue plastic insert down the center. trj, you DID make me take a double take of the pic but the upper grill trim is definitely gone: no amount of primer could cover a hunk of chrome that size so neatly. The reason I asked if it was a hotrod attempt is that I've seen some hotrods where the person wasn't willing to go to the expense of replacing or rechroming the old trim so they just removed it. It would also have explained the different rims and hubcaps.

Chris

47Fordor    -- 05-16-2011 @ 3:53 PM
  A '47 without an identification emblem 6 or 8 on the nose of the hood would be a pretty rare bird, as it would have been between the elimination of the '46 design and the introduction of the new, '47-48 designs. As for the hood ornament, I can't say that they didn't exist, but I've never seen a '47 without the long hood ornament with the blue plastic insert down the center. trj, you DID make me take a double take of the pic but the upper grill trim is definitely gone: no amount of primer could cover a hunk of chrome that size so neatly. The reason I asked if it was a hotrod attempt is that I've seen some hotrods where the person wasn't willing to go to the expense of replacing or rechroming the old trim so they just removed it. It would also have explained the different rims and hubcaps.

Chris

shogun1940    -- 05-16-2011 @ 5:59 PM
  thanks for all the tips, car is comming tomorrow,, I plan on keeping it stock , the flathead runs but I will probably build the french flathead i have .

47Fordor    -- 05-16-2011 @ 6:32 PM
  Ok, now you've really got me: what is a "french flathead" and how does it differ from the american?

For what it's worth: if the serial number on the bell housing matches the one on the frame, it might be worth while to keep them together.

Chris

shogun1940    -- 05-16-2011 @ 6:59 PM
  the engine in the car I think is origial, i will check it out, but every flathead i have taken apart is all cracked, so i bought a french flathead from halibrand a few years ago, it was cast on my birthday, but 40 years afterwards in 1985

42wagon    -- 05-17-2011 @ 3:24 AM
  Chris
That number is actually stamped on the top edge of the transmission case. Shogun could install a rebuilt engine and still have matching transmission and frame numbers. Henry did it that way 'cause he knew the engine would need to be replaced but probably not the transmission.
Ted

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3081