Topic: Clutch slippage.

Gary M.    -- 11-14-2009 @ 12:16 PM
  I have never had any clutch slippage on my 39 Standerd before. On veterans day I drove in a local parade for a couple of miles and then parked for the ceremony. On my way home afterwards I was getting clutch slippage in 2nd and 3rd gears.Im wondering if the clutch got soaked with oil from driving at such a slow pace or do I all of a sudden need a new clutch.I have not had the car back out since the parade due to wet weather but tomorrow is going to be dry so Ill try it again.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-14-2009 @ 3:51 PM
  HI
make sure you have 1 inch of free play, when the pedal is up at top, it should move a inch before the linkage moves. maybe from using it in the parade it wore the clutch down a little,and now has no free play,usually FORD clutches are pretty tough,
check to see if it has free play and let us know how you made out,
hope this help,37RAGTOPMAN
IN GOD WE TRUST,,,

nelsb01    -- 11-15-2009 @ 8:04 AM
  It can happen that fast. I once test drove a 64 Fairlane for my uncle who wanted my opinion on it for one of his daughters. The car drove great around the block and beyond. Once purchased and driving home, the car all the sudden would not accelerate in 3rd. The engine would rev, but little forward motion. It was the clutch. Needless to say, uncle was not a happy man with my vehicle endorsement.

supereal    -- 11-15-2009 @ 10:59 AM
  If you slipped the clutch a lot, as is often necessary in parades, it is likely that the disk facing was hot enough to glaze it and/or the face of the flywheel and pressure plate. If so, those pieces will be a blue color when you disassemble the clutch. Two things affect clutch life: insufficient free play at the pedal, and riding the pedal, particularly in traffic (or parades). Unless you overfilled the oil pan, it is doubtful that was a factor. If so, you should see plenty of oil dripping from the hole in the clutch housing.

Gary M.    -- 11-15-2009 @ 11:25 AM
  Thanks for the info guys...I am going out to take it for a ride right now so ill see how it feels and make a decision on how to remedy this problem. Thanks again...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=308