Topic: 49 radio speaker grill

proxie35    -- 05-15-2011 @ 11:55 AM
  I have 49 2dr. built june 2, 1948 with a chrome speaker grill. Will I loose points for this speaker grill. Sherrel

nelsb01    -- 05-16-2011 @ 5:15 AM
  Yes.
All speaker grilles in 1949 Fords were either painted dash color in passenger cars, or woodgrained birch in station wagons.

jfarrell    -- 05-16-2011 @ 7:17 AM
  If I were you, I would check with the '49-51 adviser Cecil Goff before painting your speaker grill because last I saw, some early '49s supposedly came from the factory with chromed speaker grills. Jfarrell

proxie35    -- 05-16-2011 @ 8:06 AM
  jfarrel, I spoke with Cecil yesterday & gave him the info. I have on this matter. I posted this to test efv8
judges. All 49s produced before June 21,1948 had the Chrome Speaker Grill. This is from Service Letter M15 sent to dealers Aug.14,1948. Cecil wasn't aware or this Memo. Sherrel
P.S I'll post the memo later.

jfarrell    -- 05-16-2011 @ 1:21 PM
  I don't mean to be confrontational, but I would hope you would share any new information you have rather than "test" the judges. One of the reasons for the existence of this forum is to share information and to help those who need it. I know I've learned an awful lot from the forum -- and the volunteers who quickly respond to my questions. Jim Farrell

proxie35    -- 05-16-2011 @ 2:17 PM
  No Offence Intended Jim, But as a retired Master Senior Judge with AACA, I realize that many on the
judging teams NEED to be educated & tested from time
to time. Sherrel Thomas

ford38v8    -- 05-16-2011 @ 5:49 PM
  Sherrel, being a Master Senior Judge with the EFV8CA myself, I concur that we need ongoing training. Once we begin to think we know everything, we become of little use to the Club or to the members who have their cars judged. As more and more information continues to surface, the rules of the game do change from time to time.

I do wish to comment on your service letter, however:

I"ll remind you that at least with Ford, there is no such thing as "Never". Not having seen the letter itself, I can nevertheless imagine several scenarios where a post-Jun21 car may have legitimately had a chrome grille installed. That said, though, I'm sure that Ford would have taken all reasonable steps to insure compliance with the directive. Miscommunication happens, with or without important reasons to comply.

Alan

proxie35    -- 05-16-2011 @ 7:19 PM
  Thanks Alen, This is the Service Letter.

ford38v8    -- 05-16-2011 @ 9:11 PM
  Sherrel, Upon seeing the letter, it stands to reason that the dash came as a complete assembly, and shipments to assembly plants after Jun 21 would have been with the painted grilles.
There is nothing in the letter to indicate a mandate, so it should be assumed that at least some grilles may have been chrome until stock on hand had been used up. With the letter being dated almost 2 months after the action date, it appears that it was merely advice to dealers on how to deal with complaints from owners of glare from the chrome.

A letter to dealers on such matters being of less import than a letter to assembly plants, your letter nevertheless contributes background information invaluable to the work of the history detectives. As you said, even Cecil had not heard of this memo.

Thank you for posting it, and if you have any more, we'd appreciate seeing them also.

Alan

proxie35    -- 05-17-2011 @ 5:04 AM
  Alan, I have Letters M1-M144 & 5 books of Service
Bulletins. Sherrel

PS. My point is the first 49s produced did have the
chrome speaker grill. I've owned more than 15, 49-51
fords over the past 58 years & I sure never knew this untill last week. The question was asked on Shoeboxford. I've owned & restored at lest 50 different
cars over the past 43 years. These include Fords, Chev.
Pont. Buicks & Cad. & I learn something new each Day.

This message was edited by proxie35 on 5-17-11 @ 5:30 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3077