Topic: Columbia rear end

voced    -- 05-13-2011 @ 12:57 PM
  I have a Columbia that I am considering installing in my 35 Ford Pickup. Did they ever put them in pickups? Or would I just be better off installing a 373 ring and pinion. I still will have to find the controls for the Columbia. Any help would be appreciated.
Jerry
jhollenbaugh@culver.k12.in.us

Stroker    -- 05-13-2011 @ 3:23 PM
  Don't know whether they were available in pickups, but I know they were in station wagons. The Columbia was a dealer-supplied Ford-approved accessory. Perhaps Lincoln has some documentation on this, but it is my understanding that you could special order a Columbia for your Ford through your dealer, who would arrange for it's off-site installation prior to delivery. Whether any pickups were ever ordered this way is a matter of speculation, as I would assume the final decision would have been the dealers to make. Regarding everything Columbia; Your best bet is to contact:

Dan Krehbiel, 38805 E. Benton Road, Temecula, California 92592.

Dan is the Club's Columbia guru, and supplies parts; including new-manufactured control valves.

supereal    -- 05-13-2011 @ 3:53 PM
  A Columbia can be installed in any Ford vehicle, but there are several considerations. Without all the controls and speedometer connections, the cost of the axle,alone, may be a fraction of the eventual cost. The Columbia axle has some problems with the soft metal parts, and anyone buying a unit should plan on having an expert go thru it. There are good choices that give the same benefits, such as the Mitch*ll overdrive.

juergen    -- 05-13-2011 @ 4:48 PM
  Many Columbia parts, including controls, can be purchased from John Connelly, a V-8 member. His e-mail is columbiatwospeed@earthlink.net and he has an extensive catalog. C&G Early Ford parts used to have repro 33-36 dash controls. The speedo changer is readily available at e-bay. I have some extra if you cannot find including conversion units. The 35-36 rearend is probably the most difficult for you to find (other than finding a 34 unit).

kubes40    -- 05-13-2011 @ 5:37 PM
  In reality the Columbia overdrive was not an authorized accessory in Fords until after 1940. In Lincolns perhaps, but not Fords. The club at this time turns a blind eye of acceptance upon them.
To install one in your truck? Sure. Why not?
They are truly a wonderful addition if you drive a lot.
Most of the controls are now available from
John Connelly as another post advises. He's a good guy and quite helpful.

Stroker    -- 05-14-2011 @ 4:12 PM
  I pretty well scr*w*d up when I gave you Dan Krehbiel as the go-to Columbia person. Dan sold his
operation to John Connelly a while back. John is indeed the new go-to person.

If you are building a "hot rod", I'd forget about the Columbia, as it doesn't like to be supplied with great amounts of torque. The problem is that it receives about 4 times the amount of torque that a transmission or drive shaft (Mitch*ll) overdrive unit due to the fact that it is downstream of the ring and pinion. The failure point is almost always the internal planetary ring gear which is part of the differential housing. These will split under massive applications of power. Krehbiel and now Connelly have available a much stronger internal planetary gear component that isn't as vulnerable as the original's were. The failure usually occurs when you attempt to take off from a standing start in low overdrive with big rear tires and a 200+ hp motor.

I really love my "Skyway Drive", as they were called in their advertising. You can even "split-shift" them like a 2-speed truck axle if you are towing something, which of course gives you 6 speeds.

voced    -- 05-16-2011 @ 9:06 AM
  I would like to thank all of you for helping me out ont his question.
Jerry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3067