Topic: How about this....

MG    -- 05-11-2011 @ 3:54 PM
  I changed the oil and filter in my '53 about this time last year. I have driven the car about 1100 miles since then. I'm contemplating changing the oil again as I change the oil in all three of my cars annually/yearly. None of them get much more than a thousand mile on them during the year. I'm wondering if changing the oil with so few mile on it is worth while. Should I change the oil when I have, say, 3000 miles on it as opposed to yearly. I mean, what if I changed the oil and didn't drive the car for over a year or so and then decided to drive it - should this unused oil be drained and replaced?

This message was edited by MG on 5-11-11 @ 4:17 PM

kubes40    -- 05-11-2011 @ 4:35 PM
  I am certain you'll receive conflicting opinions on this one. I'll offer my .02ยข derived from formal schooling many years ago.

The used oil (even little used) in the crankcase holds many contaminants and moisture.
Those contaminants will "leach" into the bearing (clearances) and attack the faces of both the bearings and crankshaft journals.
How much? Well, that depends on the amount of contaminants as well as the clearances.
Is it worth changing the fairly fresh oil? I was taught that yes, without question, change it.
I change the oil in my stored vehicles prior to the cold seasons when temperatures fluctuate radically thus creating more moisture in the crankcase. Then, perhaps a bit obsessive, I change it once again prior to the driving season. If the oil appears clean (it always does of course), I don't toss it but use it up on chain saws, etc.

ford38v8    -- 05-11-2011 @ 4:35 PM
  MG, as I understand it, there is an acid buildup in the oil over time, whether or not the car is driven. Not being a chemical engineer, for all I know that was a rumor started by the oil companies to sell more oil.

Still, being able to sleep better at night knowing that you didn't cheapie down on the upkeep of your toys is a pretty good investment just all by it's lonesome.

Alan

MG    -- 05-11-2011 @ 4:44 PM
  How about the filter? Change it as well? I'm thinking the filter could be changed every other oil change.

Stroker    -- 05-11-2011 @ 4:47 PM
  Oil seldom actually "wears out". The biggest problem with oil is contamination which is a bi-product of combustion. Your 1K usage per annum would suggest that you are not driving long distances. Oil benefits from running for period that are long enough that will allow for the temperatures to get high enough to promote boil-out,which will (vaporize)contaminates. 1K usage would suggest that you aren't running your vehicle long or hard enough to really cook-out the combustion bi-products. These contaminates contain such lovely ingredients as sulfuric acid. Leaving this cocktail in the engine simply because the odometer reads 1000 miles since the last oil change is not prudent.

40guy    -- 05-11-2011 @ 6:50 PM
  I try to change mine every 6 months regardless of how few miles I have on it. I've never heard of a part failing from changing the oil too much.

supereal    -- 05-11-2011 @ 8:14 PM
  The filter contains one quart, or twenty percent of the total fill. Why change oil if you are going to remove only eighty percent? Oil doesn't wear out, but the " package" of additives does. Seldom driven cars are in the class of severe service due to high concentrations of contaminant from lack of running at temps high enough to burn off the moisture and unburned fuel.

MG    -- 05-11-2011 @ 10:42 PM
  Makes me want to go out and buy a Jiffy Lube Franchise so I can change my oil on a weekly basis.

Do all of these nasty contaminants apply to synthetic oils as well?

This message was edited by MG on 5-11-11 @ 11:16 PM

TomO    -- 05-12-2011 @ 7:44 AM
  MG, yes.

Tom

bigvince    -- 06-01-2011 @ 10:05 AM
  Oil is cheap. Rebuilds aren't. I change every season regadless of the miles.

51f1    -- 06-01-2011 @ 12:48 PM
  Check the owners' manual in your modern car. The less you drive it, the more often you should change the oil. When you drive short distances, the oil doesn't get hot enough to "burn off" some of the contaminants such as water, which contributes to acid build-up and gasoline which dilutes the oil. You should be changing your oil more often, not less.

Richard

BERTHA    -- 06-04-2011 @ 5:13 PM
  This is what I have been using...ZDDP for flat tappet engines!!

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/zrt.aspx

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3055