Topic: New Radiator Recommendations

Steves46    -- 05-11-2011 @ 5:02 AM
  The original radiator on my 46 coupe has seen its better days and keeping the car running cool is becoming a major challenge. Most of the fins on the side facing the engine are either bent or mashed together...this to me has to effect cooling for there is not a clean exit for the hot air to escape. This coupled with the age, I think it would be more cost effective to replace the radiator therefore I am looking for recommendations from those who have done the same. I see quite a few aluminum models advertised on E-Bay. Appreciate any information.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-11-2011 @ 5:35 AM
  What you want to do , is what you have ask yourself.,
a original car or a street rod,? resale value of car?
if your brass tanks are in good shape you can have a new core installed by a good radiator ship,
try HEMMMING'S MOTOR NEWS, they have many shops that provide this service,and they are located all over the U.S.A.
Also if you ever have a problem , with a aluminum radiator. replacement is the only thing you can do, were the brass radiator can be repaired.
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN
try on the web MAINE RADIATOR,they make all sorts of radiators and repairs ,

Steves46    -- 05-11-2011 @ 6:21 AM
  Thanks for your input. I would like to keep her original but since it is not a show car, I just want to drive and enjoy during the summer without worrying about overheating. The cost of repairing the original may far exceed the cost of a new aluminum.

supereal    -- 05-11-2011 @ 7:30 AM
  If your radiator isn't leaking, you can help it by straightening the fins. There is a tool called a "fin comb" which is available from some vendors. It does what the name implies. If the radiator is removed, you can do a passable job with a small screwdriver and needle nosed pliers. With radiators getting very expensive, it is worth a try. Once the fins are opened, a good soaking. , followed by a rinse with a strong hose, or careful power wash, will get the crud out of the area around the tubes. Just don't overdo it.

Steves46    -- 05-11-2011 @ 10:31 AM
  Thanks Super. The radiator is not leaking and I have a fin comb. It certainly looks like it would be easier if the radiator was removed. The radiator looks to be pretty easy to remove/install. Are they indeed pretty easy to remove? I am also fortunate to have an old fashioned family run radiator shop a few miles from the house. From what I understand, the fellow uses this power hose to flush systems. I may have that done as well. I certainly want to try the less expensive methods first before biting the bullet for a new one.

supereal    -- 05-11-2011 @ 11:37 AM
  To remove the radiator, drain the system, then pull off the hoses. If they have been on for a long time, they may need to be slit to get them off. If so, be careful not to score the outlets of the radiator. Remove the bolts and springs that hold the "feet" of the radiator, being careful to note their position, then just lift the radiator up and out. Unless the hoses are new, this is a good time to change them. If the drain petcok is stuck, the coolant will come out when a lower hose is pulled off. It is difficult to impossible to straighten the fins with the radiator in place. Catching the coolant is recommended for proper disposal. We put a short length of tubing on the drain cock, and thread it thru the hole in the pan below the front of the engine.

Johns46coupe    -- 05-12-2011 @ 12:46 AM
  Super, I have always had a hard time getting the radiator back in. Getting those two lower hoses on while holding the radiator to push it down has caused unusual words to emanate from my mouth. Advice on the install process? Thanks in advance!

John

sturgis 39    -- 05-12-2011 @ 7:26 AM
  Brass or copper radiators have twice the cooling capacity of an aluminum radiator. The "R" value depends on the alloys in the aluminum and copper. The tables in different books vary on the "R" value. Aluminum radiators and electric fans on old Fords just do not seem right to me. Some people actually brag about their aluminum radiators. I usually try to keep my mouth shut.

IF IT CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH BLASTING WIRE, DUCT TAPE OR JB WELD - IT CAN NOT BE FIXED

sturgis 39    -- 05-12-2011 @ 7:27 AM
  Brass or copper radiators have twice the cooling capacity of an aluminum radiator. The "R" value depends on the alloys in the aluminum and copper. The tables in different books vary on the "R" value. Aluminum radiators and electric fans on old Fords just do not seem right to me. Some people actually brag about their aluminum radiators. I usually try to keep my mouth shut.

IF IT CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH BLASTING WIRE, DUCT TAPE OR JB WELD - IT CAN NOT BE FIXED

supereal    -- 05-12-2011 @ 7:35 AM
  I don't replace the radiator with the lower hoses attached to the pumps. Hoses aren't expensive and it is a good time to change them. That said, be sure that the replacement hoses are the same length as the old one. Most vendors sell hoses too long for the application, and they must be trimmed to length. If you soak the hoses in hot water, they can usually be bent enough to slip on much easier. Slide them back in the pump inlet as far as they will go, then bend them enough to slip on. Slide the hoses toward the radiator far enough so the clamps cover the raised part of the radiator connections, and tighten enough to prevent leaks, but not enough to bend the metal. I agree that the job is awkward, and may expand your vocabulary, but there are a lot tougher things to do.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3053