Topic: Radiator Questions - 38 V-60hp

john38coupe    -- 05-10-2011 @ 6:20 AM
  After 43 years in dry storage, I'm getting ready to put my original radiator back in my 38 V-60 coupe (82A-8005 V-60hp). It appears to be in great shape and I plan to take it to the local radiator shop to get it pressure tested. At what pressure should it be tested and is there anything else I should be aware of/look for before I prepare it for paint? Thanks

37 Coupe    -- 05-10-2011 @ 6:50 AM
  If it was an 85 hp radiator I would say 4 lbs would be test but radiator shop will test it for far more than that and you will probably be okay. One thing radiator shop pointed out to me on even a NOS 37 radiator was the inlet and outlet brass was split or cracked in places,very minute and probably not an issue when hose and clamp are securing everything.Just surprised me to see this on a radiator not even used yet,just in for a checkup. He always checks this out and runs solder on inside groove,the outside of groove is what holds hose on,the ridge ring ? for better word escapes me now.

TomO    -- 05-10-2011 @ 7:01 AM
  The tanks on the older radiators will crack and split if excessive pressure is used to test them. 5lbs will be more pressure that the system will develop and should be enough pressure to show any leaks.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 05-10-2011 @ 5:25 PM
  John, if your radiator shop is equipped with a hot bath, it is well worth it to have them boil it out. They will perform a flow test as well as a pressure test, which should be low pressure as stated above. THe hot bath will remove some of the internal deposits, but usually not all, which a "Rod-Out" will remove. This entails removing top and bottom tanks, and running small rods through each tube. Fresh solder joints all around, and you're good to go. They will paint it for you unless you tell them no paint, as I'd advise. You can finish it off yourself better than they can.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3043