Topic: 36 Ford Radiator

Ron Crouch    -- 05-06-2011 @ 8:46 PM
  Well I got my new water pumps on but looks like I blew my old radiator out--Leaking through the inside fins fairly rapidly---any suggestions for a radiator source for 1936 Ford sedan flathead v-8?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-07-2011 @ 5:35 AM
  Is there any radiator shops in your area ?
also what do you do with your car and how much you want to spend,,
Want to keep original must as possible,?
Also one option,is find a replacement original from a other member ?
also HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS [ are online ]has some advertisements from shops located around the USA,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 05-07-2011 @ 7:15 AM
  Ron, if you want to keep your car looking original, find a local radiator shop that will re-core your radiator. Expect to pay north of $300.

Tom

supereal    -- 05-07-2011 @ 1:39 PM
  You can get some idea of probably cost by looking at the Walker Radiator web site. In most cases, radiators for flatheads must be special ordered, and can take 6 to 8 weeks. The last one we bought ran over $600, and that has been quite a while ago. Most modern cars now use aluminum radiators because the cost of brass and copper has gone thru the roof. We did buy a very good rebuilt radiator from Baxter Ford in Kansas, but it has been long ago. You can check with Don at 913/842-1800. If they don't have one, perhaps they can give you some leads.

ford38v8    -- 05-07-2011 @ 1:40 PM
  Ron, don;t automatically assume that your core must be replaced. Tanks can and do separate from cores, and cores can themselves require individual tube repair also. The style of fin/tube in your radiator is not replaceable today due to the fin punch dies having been lost to the ages. The difference between the styles is very visible, and of course, not correct as Henry made them.

A good radiator shop can do a complete rebuild job on your radiator and save the original appearance. The cost difference is appealing also.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3032