Topic: '34 Pitman Arm

Dolman    -- 05-06-2011 @ 10:25 AM
  I need a Pitman arm for my '34 pickup. The existing ball is worn down to the stub at the bottom of the aft face which must be contributory to the loose steering problem. Checked all of the sites in the vendor directory and came up empty. Also posted a want ad in the site's classified section. If you folks know of a source, please post or email me at amc@alaska.com.

supereal    -- 05-06-2011 @ 10:48 AM
  Finding a pitman arm for anything older than '35 is really tough. If the arm is OK, except for the ball, a good machine shop can repair it. It does take some skill. We have made ball studs for shocks, which are really difficult because the other end is a taper.

Dolman    -- 05-06-2011 @ 11:40 AM
  Super, can you recommend a machine shop that I can send the arm to?

supereal    -- 05-06-2011 @ 12:09 PM
  Where are you located? If you have a Club roster, you can get recommendations from members near you. Broad service machine shops are getting very scarce. Young people don't seem interested in the trade. Our shop is run by my eldest son, who is now 56. I'm not sure who, if anyone, will replace him when the time comes. We live in an age where replacement trumps repair, even though it is almost always more expensive, and we are poorer for it.

Dolman    -- 05-06-2011 @ 12:17 PM
  Super, I am located in Kenai, Alaska. Alaska has a membership of six. I'll try them but I am still willing to spend the money to ship the arm to the lower 48. If you are reluctant to recommend a shop on the forum, you can contact me at amc@alaska.com. Thanks for the help.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-06-2011 @ 5:08 PM
  DOLMAN
did you try looking in HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS,
also try JOBLOT in NY
and LITTLE DEARBORN PARTS,
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN

Dolman    -- 05-07-2011 @ 8:49 AM
  Tried Hemmings and Little Dearborn. No luck. Just looked at JobLot but there was no listing of a '34 pitman arm in their catalog. Thanks for the suggestions and I have added JobLot to my list of resources. This may be a surface observation on my part but as I search for stuff, it appears that 32, 33, and 34 are the redheaded step children of the early Fords. Maybe that's why so many got chopped up for hotrods. Anyway, I now have 2 sources that can rebuild the ball on the pitman arm and I slept well last night.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3030