Topic: Cork Gasket

MG    -- 05-05-2011 @ 5:46 PM
  I'm replacing the gas tank sending unit. The replacment unit came with a cork gasket as is the original gasket. Do I wipe this cork gasket with grease or do I have to use some sort of gasoline-proof sealant.

MG    -- 05-05-2011 @ 5:48 PM
  I'm wondering why this, my question, my topic posted twice? That it did so really sucks! Too bad this message board doesn't have a delete function when this happens.

This message was edited by MG on 5-5-11 @ 6:09 PM

supereal    -- 05-05-2011 @ 6:23 PM
  We install those gaskets dry, but if you want to seal it, use a fuel proof product such as Indian Head sh*llac type sealer. As to double posting, after you press the submit button, wait until you get a confirmation message. Sometimes it takes a while when the site is busy. If you press submit more than once, it will post again.

MG    -- 05-05-2011 @ 6:59 PM
  supereal,

I don't understand. Why wouldn't I want to seal it? If installed dry, is there a possibility of gas leakage? How were these gaskets installed at the factory? Needless to say, I don't want any raw gas leaking from around this gasket?

MG    -- 05-05-2011 @ 7:00 PM
  supereal,

I don't understand. Why wouldn't I want to seal it? If installed dry, is there a possibility of gas leakage? How were these gaskets installed at the factory? Needless to say, I don't want any raw gas leaking from around this gasket?

trjford8    -- 05-05-2011 @ 7:26 PM
  They were installed dry at the factory. I don't use any sealer and have never had a problem.

supereal    -- 05-05-2011 @ 9:06 PM
  As Tom says, that's the way Henry did it. In most cases, it isn't possible to fill the tank completely, and it isn't under pressure. The baffles control the fuel from excessive sloshing. We don't seal them because it makes removal or replacement of the sender more difficult, and then requires a new gasket.

MG    -- 05-05-2011 @ 10:39 PM
  Thanks guys. I'll install it dry.

nelsb01    -- 05-06-2011 @ 12:08 PM
  MG........
I have some original ones from a Ford Dealership and they did have some sort of white dried paste on them.
I think this white paste became a seal when touched by the gasoline. I once had to remove the sender in my 1937 Ford after using one of these cork gaskets from the dealership, and I had to use a putty knife to scr*p it off.
My experience.

supereal    -- 05-06-2011 @ 12:15 PM
  There was a time when "white lead" compound was used as a sealer before it was discovered to be dangerous. Cork was often used when "fuel proof" material was required, such as carb floats. Plumbers often used lead and lead sealers. Today, Teflon paste is the replacement.

Stroker    -- 05-06-2011 @ 2:30 PM
  If the cork gasket has shrunk enough to make putting the screws in difficult, just soak it for a while in warm water. I wouldn't personally use any sealer, as it isn't necessary.

51f1    -- 05-06-2011 @ 2:57 PM
  I installed the cork gasket on my sending unit dry, and it leaked when the tank was full. I recommend you use a sealant.

Richard

MG    -- 05-06-2011 @ 3:20 PM
  I installed the new sender with it's cork gasket today. I did install the gasket dry as reccommended above. The tank was about half full. I took the car on a test drive for a few miles and then inspected the sender and gasket for leaks. There was slight leakage around the sender screws. I'm not going to fuss with this as I suspect that after a while the cork gasket will expand and seal better. I will keep an eye on this, especially when I fill the tank up. If the leakage gets worse, I will use a fuel proof sealer concoction of some sort on the cork gasket.

This message was edited by MG on 5-6-11 @ 3:22 PM

37 Coupe    -- 05-07-2011 @ 5:21 AM
  I use Permatex "High Tack" spray,spray a thin coat on both sides of the gasket.Says on the spray can for cork and gasoline.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3029