Topic: Water Pumps and Coolant

Ron Crouch    -- 05-05-2011 @ 12:23 PM
  Just got my water pumps rebuilt by Skip. Can't wait to put em on.. Skip enclosed a sheet talking about 2 gals. of Texaco antifreeze recommeneded alomg with water pump lubricant. Do you guys agree with antifreeze suggestion because I always heard to just use water and lubricant additive. I live in California and drive when it is warm and hot. Also Skip recommened a chassis grease on water pump gaskets and I have always used some type of gasket sealer.

40guy    -- 05-05-2011 @ 1:11 PM
  The vehicle will actually run cooler with the traditional 50/50 mix of antifreeze/coolant because the boiling point is raised vs water. Also, there are corrossion inhibiters in antifreeze to help protect your cooling system. Either way I recommend distilled water for sure.

supereal    -- 05-05-2011 @ 6:15 PM
  Antifreeze is actually less heat conductive than plain water. If you don't need it, add a container of antirust and one of "water wetter" such as Purple Ice". The boiling point is a function of the pressure in the system.

shogun1940    -- 05-05-2011 @ 6:26 PM
  use antifreezee 50/50, it will run cooler, and it has the additives to prevent corosion , etc. boing point goes up 3.25 degrees for every pound of pressure which in stock system i s not very much mix with distilled water from the a/c or dehumidifier

wmsteed    -- 05-07-2011 @ 10:40 AM
  Since the original question was posed by a fellow from California and I live in California I will throw in my feelings about coolant (anti-freeze)in an Early V8 Ford.
I am a firm believer in "modern coolant" fluids.
I purchased my '36 Ford 57 years ago when I lived in Idaho, anti-freeze was a must have item in Idaho. I and the Ford moved to Las vegas in 1954, I still used anti-freeze in the Ford because it gets very cold in Vegas in the winter, in the summer heat the engine would get hot, but it would not boil.
In 1956 I and "Henry" moved to So Cal. I drove "Henry" to work for many years, traversing the streets and freeways in the San Fernando Valley during the dead of summer.
In 1960 I got a company car so "Henry" became a Sunday driver... During the years I have owned "Henry" I have driven it over 94,k through snow blizzards, blazing deserts and commuter traffic, always with coolant in the radiator. The radiator and heater cores are original to the car.. they have had minor repairs, yet the cores are as good as the day Ford built them.
Is commercially available coolant worth while compared to water... In my book it is.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 05-07-2011 @ 1:27 PM
  If you live where the temperature falls below freezing, of course antifreeze is necessary. If you don't, you can run with just water and an antirust additive. We use either distilled or demineralized water in the coolant mix. Water from a home softener shouldn't be used due to high sodium content. This problem had led to the sale of pre mixed antifreeze. Contrary to popular opinion, antifreeze is not more efficient than just water because it has less density. It also tends to entrain air more readily, further reducing efficiency. That is why it foams badly in non-presurized systems. Foam wasn't a problem until glycol based antifreeze came on the market. It used to be that everyone just poured "Prestone" in the system. Now, there are new organic acid based solutions that must be used, or warranties will be voided. Many of these are brand specific. A service bulletin at our shop last week informed us that even Ford is changing formulas, and just using "orange" coolant is to be ended. Anyone buying antfreeze will need to do their homework to prevent damage.

35gal    -- 05-07-2011 @ 6:05 PM
  I've heard of using a antirust additive but I can never get anybody to recommend one. Could someone tell me a brand and part number to use, thanks

kubes40    -- 05-07-2011 @ 6:13 PM
  Super is right on in with his reply in regard to the use of water vs. coolant.
Water will in fact dissipate heat quicker than coolant.
Raising the boiling point? Well, #1, the system is NOT pressurized so this is a non-issue. #2, The boiling point of water remains to this day 212*. If the old Ford gets that warm, it won't matter if there is coolant in the system or plain water... it's too hot and obviously there are other issues to address.
Bottom line is: If it doesn't freeze in your area, running water and a cooling system lubricant is your best and most efficient option.

MG    -- 05-07-2011 @ 6:20 PM
  I've had good luck mixing soluble-oil and distilled water in all my warm weather cars. As to the mixture amounts? - just follow the instructions on the container the soluble oil comes in.

39 Ken    -- 05-08-2011 @ 3:36 AM
  Google automotive anti-rust and water pump lubricant. Take your pick. Gunk and Prestone are both acceptable and do the job well.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3020