Topic: Hand Brake

Dolman    -- 05-04-2011 @ 11:15 AM
  Is the hand brake in a '34 pickup with mechanical brakes supposed to move when pressing the brake pedal?
Mine does and does not return to the "off" position when I take my foot off the brake pedal. If I forget to shove it forward, the brake light stays on and the battery gets more exercise than it needs.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-04-2011 @ 1:07 PM
  NO, it does not suppose to move,not as fas as I know,
pictures would help, use e-mail mode on the camera,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 05-04-2011 @ 3:19 PM
  The hand brake operates the cross shaft through a clevis. I suspect the clevis is tightened so far that the pin has no where to go but to pull the hand brake lever when the pedal is pressed. You can see a diagram of the brake system on page 17 of the green book.

Dolman    -- 05-04-2011 @ 3:46 PM
  Thanks, Dr. Super. My suspicion is confirmed. Looked at the drawings in the Green Book but the copy quality is not very distinct. Is that spring in the center of the shaft going to go sproing if I take things apart? I have a new appreciation for the 1920 song, Get Out and Get Under. Of course you're too young to remember it.

"He'd have to get under—get out and get under—to fix his little machine
He was just dying to cuddle his queen
But ev'ry minute
When he'd begin it
He'd have to get under—get out and get under—then he'd get back at the wheel
A dozen times they'd start to hug and kiss
And then the darned old engine, it would miss
And then he'd have to get under—get out and get under—and fix up his automobile."

Dolman    -- 05-04-2011 @ 7:03 PM
  Fixed the unwanted movement problem. Removed the entire hand brake assembly and found that the slot that the locking pawl pin rides in had 76 years of rust in it. Scr*ped the rust out, applied a thin film of grease and now it works fine and the battery is grateful. But I did note that the locking pawl is severely worn which explains why the hand brake can be released without pushing the button. Another entry on the parts order list.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3012